1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DC-AC inverter from 200VCD supply

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jmann, May 30, 2006.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, there must be an AC inverter out there somewhere that can hancle 200VDC. (And those gigantic 25KW UPS's don't count, like the prius-UPS projects)

aparently Toyota has one available for the estima hybrid. The problem with this, however, is that japanese AC is 100VAC

Any other choices out there?

Why is this important? the prius only has a 1.25KW DC-DC inverter delivering power to the 12 system. So even with the most effecient DC-AC incerters on the 12 system, only about 800 watts of power could be used before depeating the battery.

2. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

US is 110VAC (and it bounces around a lot), so you should be close enough for 99% of things you would want to run from it. Of more concern is the frequency, US is 60Hz, I know at least one other country uses 50Hz. Many modern switching power supplies can use whatever you give them, but older transformer based designes can't.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. crichman

crichman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ May 30 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]263148[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, you might want to have another look at Richard Factor's site. See http://priups.com/misc/bonus-15mar06.htm His newer approach uses (modified) commercial switching power supplies that will run on Prius HV DC to power more modest-sized UPS units. I'm mid-way through assembling a 50 lb 2.7kw system following his model. Mine won't ride in the back, but will be installed in our house for backup power.

Charlie