1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DC Metro Area HOV question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coffenut, Aug 17, 2006.

1. coffenut

coffenut Junior Member

As a proud owner of a brand new 2006 Prius, it dawned on me that I wasn't sure of the laws regarding HOV lanes in the DC Metro area. I know a bunch of them have changed with regard to hybrids. Can anyone tell me what the current laws are. I have tried to look it up and just can't find it -- at least in language that I understand. :eek:

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My sister lives in Northern VA, and she said that July 1 was the sunset date for the special Clean Fuel license plates that you could get for your car to allow them in the HOV lanes. I have not heard of Maryland having any special HOV access, so it looks like you will have to have the requisite number of people in the car to take advantage of the HOV lanes.

:(

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This thread should give you a little help.

Here is the VA DMV page about the Clean Special Fuel plates.

I don't know about MD though. I have heard that the laws are similar to those in VA, but I'm not sure.

4. coffenut

coffenut Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Aug 18 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]305232[/snapback]</div>

BUMMER .... guess I'll be driving my motorcycle if I want to drive in the HOV lanes. <G>

5. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coffenut @ Aug 18 2006, 07:57 AM) [snapback]305240[/snapback]</div>
    I have heard third-party that we get no special breaks in MD to use HOV lanes. I have not researched it but it seems to be true. :(

6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Its true that Maryland has no HOV benefits of owning a hybrid. We have to be satified helping the environment and reducing our dependence on foreign oil.

In Virginia the hybrid vehicle HOV restrictions are a little confusing. If you purchased your car before 1 July 2006, you are entitled to get special plates that allow you to drive in any HOV lane in Virginia. However, the plates do not give you access to the HOV lanes in DC or Maryland. If you bought your car on or after 1 July 2006, you can still get special plates, but these slightly different plates do not allow you access to the HOV lanes on I-95/395. And just like the original plates, you can't access the HOV lanes in DC or Maryland. In addition, the HOV access for hybrids is only until 1 July 2007. There is a good chance that the law will be renewed, but there is a chance that it will be allowed to expire.