1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DDM, HID 55W 8000K or 6000K w/relay harness questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Horndog, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone -

I've just started looking at different modifications and ideas to upgrade my existing Prius and I have a few questions: I've read on a few HID forums that DDM is the way to go, so that's the route I'm taking....however, if I want the 6k color with a 55w kit, shall I get the 8k/55w to produce the 6k color? Also, does anyone have a video or ideas as to a DIY relay kit into the Prius 2010? I've read it can be plugged into the fuse box instead of directly to the battery? Any ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! ;)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, plug your power lead from the HID relay harness into one of your open terminals in your engine compartment fuse box. Seen here, the two red wires:

[​IMG]

3. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you feel it's wise for me to get the 8k/55w in order to produce the 6k? Is that accurate in your eyes?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    but you also have to keep in mind that DDM is known to be more blue then actually listed. i ordered 4500k from ddm 55w and they look like 6k.

6. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe I'll just go with the 6k to be on the safe side....I don't care for the blue blue....

7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

thats my car 55w DDM 4500k

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you sure DDM sent you the right bulbs? That's definitely bluish.

SCH-I535

9. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's VERY blue for 4500, looks like it should be 8k

10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    yeah they were "correct" ddm has never really given me the true color, even after complaining.

this is how it looks like in the daytime
    [​IMG]

11. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Depends on the color balance of the camera too. Night pics are going to make the bulbs bluer than they actually are.
    That being said, definitely not 4300k.

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ballasts that make HID bulbs bluer than you think they should be are cheap crappy ballasts. A good quality premium ballast should yield near the true rated color temp. of the bulb. Here is where I think it pays to spend a bit more and get a good HID system rather than a cheap $40. one. A better system will also be brighter. Some of the cheap ones apparently don't even output the rated wattage.

13. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, but you have to consider your ROI at a certain point.
    Is a Morimoto kit really 375% better than a DDM kit? It costs that much more.

14. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, probably not. I actually got the exact same ballasts as the Xenon Supply premium kit under a different label for like $70. or something like that.

15. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've decided to go with the 55w/6k with a relay harness from DDM Tuning. I've heard good things about DDM on these forums and I'm hoping for a nice bright white on the road. Wish me luck! Hopefully it won't take too long to receive the parts....:cool:

16. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    they have compared the DDM ballasts to the morimoto ones and they give the same results. warm up time, power usage and life all yielded the same or almost same answer. but i know for a fact that DDM bulbs are not that great. if you want to get good decent HID bulbs then morimoto are great. also i have a ddm 55w 6k hid kit in my bike and its been working flawlessly for the past 5 years.

17. Horndog

Horndog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suppose it's all about perspective on the color, product, and output...I've read many mixed opinions on DDM, Morimoto, and even ebay brands...since DDM has been the most I read, I will give it a try. If I'm not satisfied with DDM and their product I will give Morimoto a try. I appreciate the response and your opinion!:)

18. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i run ddm and im proud of it. for the price, it cant be beat

Horndog likes this.
  19. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would personally always get a relay with any HID kit.

HIDs take a very high voltage to ignite when you first turn them on and the stock halogen wiring is not made for that. While in most cases it works fine without a relay, it's better to put that voltage load on the battery directly, which is what the relay does for you.

If an HID ballast fails or starts going bad (most of them are really cheaply made after all), it could potentially burn up your stock wiring. A relay has a fuse which protects against and you are able to protect your stock wiring versus basically zero protection without a relay.

20. burstaneurysm

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While that used to be the case with the larger, analog ballasts, the newer digital ballasts ramp the ignition voltage up, so there's no more voltage slam at ignition. While this tends to cause the bulbs to reach operating temp a little slower, it also protects the wiring.

A relay harness is cheap insurance, but I've not personally experienced any problems with digital ballasts killing wiring after several years.