1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12V Battery Or Something Else

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ajayre, Nov 11, 2010.

1. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought an approved used 2006 Prius from a Toyota dealer less than a week ago. I drove it about 30 miles this evening - no problems. I left it for three hours with the lights accidentally on and I just went out to it and it looks sickly.

The clock and interior light is dim. It won't go to ready mode although in ACC some warning lights come on. I tried it a few times to start it and one time got a large red warning triangle - but only that one time.

Sounds like the 12V battery suddenly died, right?

I don't have another vehicle to jump start it, and would be terrified of doing that anyway. No other means of transportation. Should I expect the dealer to fix it somehow?

dissapointedly, Andy

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to either charge or replace the 12V battery. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect the dealer (at no charge) to fix the problem since driver error caused the problem...

3. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so that is what I am getting at. Three hours to drain the battery is normal/reasonable and the battery is not defective?

Andy

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

It is probable that those three hours was the straw that broke the
    camel's back. To begin with, the typical service life of the 12V battery
    is ~4 years, shorter if it was ever jump-started.
    So replacement is in order.

The battery is much smaller than most folks expet as it doesn't need to
    crank the engine on start-up.(It is under the hatch-area floor. It just
    needs to boot the various CPUs -- maybe 14 of them. With low power
    the CPUs apparently send bogus data and the system goes bonkers.

It seems that when it came to the 12V battery some engineer on the
    Toyota staff was strongly influenced by Lucas...
    "The Prince of Darkness." :D

The 12V battery is not covered by any OEM warranty. If you're real
    nice, or there is something in your purchase contract, it is remotely
    possible that your dealer may replace it gratis.

Good luck.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It depends on what lights you're talking about.

Anyway the Prius only has a small 12V battery because it doesn't need to crank the engine. So yeah you do have to be kinda careful wit it.

• Tip. If you've left lights or something on and run the battery down and it's still got some power but not enough to start. The best thing to do is to turn off power to everything that you can, then just leave it sit for 30min to an hour. Sometimes the battery will regain a little bit of *charge after sitting for a while and it might be just enough to get it to ready (at which point the inverter will start charging the 12v battery from the power in traction battery and you should be able to drive it to charge some more).
    * technically it's just the charge that it already had redistributing within the electrolyte.

6. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. The AA (roadside assistance) jump started it for me and now it is running again. They said three hours to drain is normal and the battery is fine.

I've learned my lesson. I'm coming from owning a Jeep and Honda which both turned their lights off automatically after three minutes. Wish the Prius did that too...

7. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    side note/ went to the dealer for an oil change and they checked the back battery as I watched. Since I wasn't allowed in the shop, are there caps to check fluid levels or did they just check the general appearance?

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my US 2009 Prius, if you leave the headlights on, they turn off automatically once the car is off and you open the driver's door. (In the 2010, there is a dealer selectable delay: 0, 30, or 60 seconds, and either front door works)

My advice is to NEVER run electrical accessories in a Prius when the car is not READY.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to see you got it going ajayre. :)

Another difference about the prius is that it doesn't have an alternator (not in the traditional sense) so the 12V battery is charged via an inverter from high voltage system when you're driving. BUT it's a relatively slow process. So be careful as the battery may not be fully charged now until you've done quite a few hours of driving.

Hopefully your battery will be fine once you have driven a bit, but be aware that lead acid batteries are sometimes permanently weakened after being run flat, so be careful with it and keep an eye on it for a little while.

There is a really neat little trick with this model Prius, and that's that you can get into some "secret" menus on the multifunction display (MFD) where you can get a read out of the 12V battery voltage. So after the battery is recharged you may like to follow the procedure outlined in the following post to test your voltage.

See: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...conditioning-12v-aux-battery.html#post1188923

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a maintenance free battery so my guess is that they would just have visually inspected the terminals for corrosion and possibly also checked the voltage level (with a digital voltmeter for example).

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good. I hope that you either allowed the Prius to remain READY for a continuous 8 hour period; or else hooked up the 12V battery to a battery charger for an overnight charge.

Some owners think that running the Prius for 20 minutes will recharge the 12V battery. Then the next day, they are surprised when the car refuses to start.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also learn to use the procedure on post #9, then you will always know the condition of the 12V.

13. ajayre

ajayre Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I leave the lights on and take the key out the car makes a feeble warning noise. If I then close the door and lock it there is no warning noise that can be heard on the outside. I have read posts by people who say that the car warns you if there is anything wrong when you lock it.

Why doesn't mine do that? Not a feature of the UK version? Misunderstanding?

Andy