1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12v Battery: SKS system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cgraham, Feb 4, 2006.

1. cgraham

cgraham Member

If the 12v battery goes flat, does the SKS system fail to open the car? (I know you can still get in with the fob key.)

I'm writing a doc. on what the new owner MUST know and I need to confirm this comment kindly offered by Oxo, as I do not wish to test it empirically!

(His advice was don't keep jumper cables in the rear as they would be hard to get at - a very good point. Under a front seat would be my alternative.

Thanks, C

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They way I understand it is that if the 12V fails you have to use the key in the fob to unlock the drivers door. I don't think you can open all doors since you have no 12V running (though if it's low you might be able to unlock the trunk).

So yeah, if your 12V fails you might have a tough time reaching the jumper in the back (good point as I didn't think about this).

It could be hard to fit it under either front seat (depending upon packages). In my car I have the NAV DVD under the front driver seat and the stereo amp under the passanger seat.

So where to best put your jumper cable?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I killed my battery, I had to use the mechanical key to get into my car.
    How revolting.

4. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how revolting? is that a pun? one of the prius dealers i talked to explained it this way: at least toyota gives you a key. if your fancy porsche's automatic door locks fail, you have no key, and you can't open the front or back to get to the battery. there's only one solution: have it towed to the dealer, who can open the car to recharge the battery.

i'll stick with the little key, thanks!
    :p

and how did you kill the battery? just for our info?
    :blink: