1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12v Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tingo99, Oct 31, 2022.

1. tingo99

tingo99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi all,

2008 Prius (upgraded model with leather seats) with 124,000 miles. I bought this car used just recently. I knew what I was getting into with an older vehicle, and as a result have replaced the combination meter capacitor and am seeing some brake issues I will need to address. However, this morning I went to start my car and after pressing the unlock button on my fob, the unlock beep rang once and then upon the second time was cut short and the car would no longer beep after pressing/ I got in the vehicle and none of the indicator lights came on, and I could not start the car. Figuring that something was up, I decided I needed to go research the issue, so I closed my car and tried to lock it up (which triggered the emergency system and car was honking on at lovely 7:10am :\). I saw that that the door/key indicator actually came on after I got the car to stop honking. The car's other indicator lights actually came on after this and I was able to start the car, but I decided not to drive it or try anything since I wasn't sure what was happening. Was able to lock up and work remotely for the day.

I know the hybrid battery is doing well as I have seen no telltale signs of that going out (good MPG, stable charge, etc.). I am almost certain this is the 12v and was just looking for second opinions?

#1 tingo99, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just check 12V do it pass a load test for 45 AH battery ? If so probably look elsewhere. I've a bad fob personally no start until remote docked no beeps nothing till docked .