1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 12v, ticking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RojaRosie, Nov 14, 2023.

1. RojaRosie

RojaRosie New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Not super car savvy and here to learn, so be gentle: 2019 Prius Limited, purchased used in June w/ 72k miles, she’s been a great car so far, 1st issue I’ve had: Last night car would not start, had not driven car in 3 days, pretty positive I did NOT leave anything on in car, something about 12v flashed on dash and then a crazy light show occurred. Even after turning back off, I could hear a ticking noise. Pictures attached of ticking source, was unable to post short video clip. Possible starter motor issue? Also, I remember the dealer saying they had to put new 12v in, in June, he gave me the receipt for battery, so that’s why I was leaning towards possible starter motor “guess”. I was able to restart w/ jumper cables, tried to be as gentle as possible, hope I didn’t cause more harm. Made short trip down street, same issue, had to jump start again to get home. Side note: Do I need to invest in a charger and avoid jump starting in future too? Looking to LEARN, diagnose, and repair if possible, if it will save me a lot of money, or should I just take it to Toyota for repair?

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car can be jump started, then your issue is probably with the 12v battery. If you have a receipt for the original OEM battery, they have a long warranty. I'm assuming you are talking about buying this from a Toyota dealership. If you did not buy from a Toyota dealership, then I would now know if there is a warranty. You can bring it back to Toyota for a warranty claim, if the dealership you purchased from is a Toyota dealer.

RojaRosie likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you want to start diagnosing, I'd start by getting a multi-meter like 7-Function Digital Multimeter set to 20 volts and see what the voltage reading shows. If the read is below 12 volts - next step would be to have the battery load tested at AutoZone, NAPA, Advanced Auto or other part dealer that does the load test for free.
    If it fails the load test you should be able to get a pro rated new battery using your receipt.

That doesn't tell way the newish battery failed to start the car so soon after being replaced, but it's a start and with your new multi-meter you can keep track of the battery voltage more closely.

RojaRosie likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius doesn't have a conventional starter motor.

the 12 volt boots up the computers, and closes relays to the hybrid battery

the hybrid battery powers the motors in the transmission which spin up the engine.

if the car doesn't go into ready mode (ready light on dash) it's likely the 12 volt. a small charger is a good idea, but if you don't drive much, a maintainer should be used, and a jump pack is always handy.

RojaRosie, Brian1954 and vvillovv like this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The offstage current draw is usually 15-40 ma (thousand of an amp). Typically a good 12v battery can supply that much for three or four weeks, not just three days.

A failing 12v battery normally has low capacity, so the auto supply test can determine if that is the cause. Not all load testers are created equal, ideally you want an old school resistive load tester.

The other thing that kills a battery in 3 days is excessive parasitic draw, perhaps 100 ma or more. High parasitic draw is caused by some device not turning off completely, often traced to an aftermarket radio, gps or something plugged into the obd2 port.

So if the battery checks good then have someone run a parasitic draw test.

RojaRosie likes this.
  6. RojaRosie

RojaRosie New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi JC91006 - the Prius was purchased through a smaller/non-Toyota dealership out-of-state and the battery appears to be a generic brand, I couldn't even find a brand, only the lead acid battery/hazard label. I looked through my paperwork, and couldn't find a receipt w/ the sales info either. I'll cover some other points in the messages after yours. Thank you!

bisco likes this.
  7. RojaRosie

RojaRosie New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You guys are my first "replies", so the formatting looks so bizarre -- Thanks also to vvillovv & RJParker. @bisco -- thank you for explaining that to a newbie :) I got in touch w/ Todd at Tampa Hybrids, along w/ the video clips of the ticking noise. He's thinking it's the 12v battery and he ordered an OEM battery for me from Toyota, so I'll go by there tomorrow, and I will discuss the diagnostics mentioned above w/ him first. One more thing to note, after my post this morning, I tried testing the car again and it's completely black, nada is going on - the red open door indicator lights up but otherwise, ALL of my displays, everything is pitch black, nothing. I'm hoping to get at least get her started tomorrow, with another jump start, to get her over to Tampa Hybrids. With the holiday coming up, traveling this weekend, time became the biggest challenge.

@bisco - excuse my ignorance, but is a "jump pack" and a charger the same thing, or is a jump pack just jumper cables?

Can you guys recommend a decent, reliable brand for a charger and what's the difference between that and a maintainer? Is it possible get those 2 functions in one device or only separately? I think someone had posted something about a

Schumacher SC1359 in one of the other chats, but feel free to rec others. Or do they make travel devices to safely charge your car, like if you're stranded roadside, don't have an A/C outlet handy, and don't want to depend on others -- is this a "jump pack" ?

@rjparker - I didn't have anything plugged in - all of my ports were empty/cables stored away - that had crossed my mind too, so I'm honestly not sure how it drained so rapidly, unless I just completely spaced out and left a light on or something out-of-character :-(

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to leave them here. I really appreciate the info and I'll keep you all updated.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Todd should be able to answer those questions for you.
    Schumacher is a great brand, as are battery tender, noco, and others.
    I’m not familiar with the gen 4 (2017-2022) Prius battery, but you don’t want a charger that exceeds the batteries max amperage.
    Todd should know.
    Yes, charger and maintainer in one unit.
    A jump pack is a small lithium battery that you plug in to charge, and then keep in the car for emergency jump starting.
    If you have a good battery and drive most everyday, you shouldn’t need it, but some like to carry one all time for emergencies

RojaRosie likes this.
  9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was recommended here a battery monitor. Something like this. I quickly found I don’t drive enough time to keep the battery charged in my Prime. This one is on sale I just ordered one seeing the price. Keep tabs on the battery with a phone. Watch it charge as drive if want to. Click link to see the price, under $15.

#9 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Nov 15, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    RojaRosie likes this.
  10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Mr.Vanvandenburg that's a neat gadget with what looks like in the spec as a 1.5 mA parasitic draw.

It would be one of the questions I'd ask Todd at Tampa Hybrids about.
    Not only due to there possibly. already being voltage and temperature sensors already already mounted on the 12 volt battery, at least with the Prius Primes and possibly with the Gen 4 regular Prius too.
    Todd might also know the best way to monitor those sensors in our Prii.

RojaRosie likes this.
  11. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got the advice from Salamander, best advice so far from this site.
    1.5 ma = .0015 amps, 1000 hours X .0015 = 1.5 amp hours withdrawn from battery over appx 40 days. Not an issue.
    The one I got first on Salamanders link was 1.5 also. I think the description said 1 ma. I got the same exact one later for under $14, returned the first one. Bought a second different one. Bought the one here as a third one for daughters hybrid Camry. All cars have one now. No more lifting the heavy hood of the 96 Toyota truck. She has been putting the charger on every day, not knowing where the soc stands. Now just set the app to alert at a certain level.
    I have to fault Toyota for not making the dc to dc converter charge fast enough for all drivers.
    If a newer battery is just discharged and charges back, it isn’t necessary to get a new battery.
    If it was me, I would get a charger maintainer and a battery monitor, all done.

#11 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Nov 15, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    RojaRosie likes this.
  12. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hope I didn't offend. I'm aware that the Gen 4, Gen 5 - 12 volt system is not well documented and monitoring it is even more cryptic. It's seems to me and a few others (not all currently posting here ) that normal draw on the 12 volt system has some unusual properties that knowing the best ways to monitor it can save a lot of time, $ and frustration.
    Old Gen 4 thread about the 12 volt system
    12v Battery Is Discharging, Re-Charge Now ! | PriusChat

13. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Whatever I wrote, it wasn’t supposed to post. No offense. I deleted, walked dog, then rewrote above. Maybe I said something, sorry if so. Now have more to read, but also life is waiting. I feel problem solved for me. My battery is now about 65% soc, and it was about 4 days ago I charged it to full, should mark it down. As I drive I can see the charging but it isn’t fast enough for the time car is driven. It doesn’t tell the number of amps charging which I would like to see. Like the old ammeters on cars showed. Yes, there were smart people back then, and it didn’t require a cell phone.

14. RojaRosie

RojaRosie New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    New 12v battery installed - OEM Toyota battery with a receipt this time! lol Apparently the battery from June was not NEW, as the dealer implied, but was some generic refurbished battery from Battery Warehouse, and it was too small also per Tampa Hybrids, so.......... I guess you get what you pay for. Hoping I won't have any future troubles. Todd gave me some good recs for a charger/maintainer and jump pack too, so I'll look into those. Thank you all so much - I know it probably seemed elementary to you, but it knocked my world a little out-of-whack for a bit.

bisco and vvillovv like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!