1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead 2014 Prius battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CapeAnn, Apr 4, 2014.

1. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Brand spanking new Prius 2014. Wife drove it fine two weeks ago. Today it doesn't start. Doors don't work. Remote door lock doesn't function. We had a bit of cold weather lately in Massachusetts.

That said - I am thinking it's a 12 volt battery issue? Advice please. I am trying to get into the 12 volt battery area - but seems with the doors not working - can't get to the back of the Prius. Not even sure if that's where the 12 volt batter is located. Went inside the engine compartment and did see this "thing" with a ton of fuses attached to it.

Thanks in advance.

Cape Ann

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    12v battery is dead. The battery is JDM sized, a land where people do not hang out in vehicles when off for no reason like they do here. Also means that even 1 night of leaving a door open/light-on will kill it.

The battery is located in the rear passenger side of the hatch. However when completely dead, you can charge it from under the hood with the jump posts. That is the big exposed metal thing by the fuse and then any chassis ground. Absolutely make sure to get the polarity right, Prii don't like it otherwise. You just need a battery for a jump, any car will work, doesn't need to be on. Just connect, press the button until you hear the familiar beeps and you're done. Let it READY sit for a few hours to get it back up to normal if you don't have a battery charger. And remember lead acid is never the same after the first discharge.

CapeAnn likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Iif the salesmen had the hatch up in the showroom for 8 hours a day, your battery was doomed.

There is a jump point under the hood to jump a Prius, I recommend a jump pack, not jumper cables. If you reverse the cables, it is about $4000 damage.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47857U/pdf/sec_05-02.pdf
    (page 52 of the PDF, page 550 of the manual)

CapeAnn likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the 12V battery not covered under warranty?

5. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks fellas! :) I am not going to risk destroying something like this as I am not that mechanically, or electrically inclined….at least I can manually lock the car. :eek: I think I have to find my Toyota new car policy which (might) cover issues like this.

p.s. I do hope the 12 volt is covered under the warranty??? This all said - the engine compartment is one kind of cool with all those heavy shielded cables, and weird bits and pieces. :D

KennyGS likes this.
  6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Owners Manuel will show the under the hood charge point, a slow trickle charge will turn on the 12v system, allowing the hatch to be opened to access the 12battery, it would be a good idea to replace the 12v, they don't do well after they die, yes it's an AGM, but the Optima, etc, are deep cell batteries, able to take a full charge after a full discharge, after getting the new battery slowly trickle charge it to full capacity, then top it off once a month, the Prius doesn't have a alternator like all the other cars on the road, it just trickles a flow of juice to the 12v, so periodic topping off the 12v battery is good for mileage.

acceleraptor and CapeAnn like this.
  7. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again. Seems I have "Platinum" extra coverage + new car 24,000 warranty. So, I am good to go and I'll delay my brain aneurism for now. Since I am hosting a group of academics right now - I'll wait on this issue since I can (at the very least) lock the door shut!

Good thing the VW and Subaru are functioning. :D Thanks again fellas!

Cheers

CapeAnn

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 12 volt is not covered, at least not as far as I know. Put yourself in their shoes: the 12 volt is way too vulnerable, can be close to depleted by a door or hatch being inadvertently left ajar over night.

You should familiarize yourself with where the battery is, and what lights are in the car, capable of draining the 12 volt.

My 2 cents: turn off every light capable of causing trouble, that has an off switch. To wit: the cabin dome light and the hatch light. Both have switches that can be set to permanently off. It makes the cabin kinda dark when you get in, but there's still door convenience lights and footwell lights. Both of those do not have switches, and of course: could drain your battery ;)

You should also try getting at the battery when it's dead. Which basically means crawling through the car into the hatch area, and then using the manual hatch release, just below the hatch sill on the inside, behind a plastic pop-out panel. As you're facing the hatch from the outside, the battery's under the floor panels on the right side.

Come to think of it, I've never done that myself, lol.

Addendum: tried it out:

1. Get into the back seat area.
    2. Pop-out and pull out the bar with the hatch area cover. Maybe stow in the rear seat foot well area.
    3. Fold down one side of the (split) rear seat back.
    4. Unlock the two hatch floor latches, fold it back, then lift it up and out of the hatch area. Maybe stow in the front passenger seat are.
    5. Jerk up and pull back slightly the under-hatch-floor storage tray. (isn't this fun?)
    6. At center-rear of the bottom of the hatch frame is a small opening (might have a pop out cover, ours is missing): reach in there, fish around, there is a small metal latch which when moved will release the hatch latch.
    7. Have something at the ready to tuck between the hatch lid and the frame, to prevent it promptly locking itself again.

Addendum 2:

You don't have to pull the storage tray back: it has the little pop-up panel I was thinking about. Pop that out and you can reach through, to the hatch release. Alzheimers moment.

acceleraptor and CapeAnn like this.
  9. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FYI - Toyota Financial Services (USA) " Extra Care" - Factory Backed Vehicle Service Agreement:

Electrical (select covered) - Battery to Ground Cable; Battery to Starter Cable ;

Items not covered: Batteries, or Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack

Sheeesh. :D

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be aware the 12 volt is RARELY covered under any warranty. However the traction battery is covered for a minimum of 8 years and 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Refer to your owners manual for more information.

Best of luck to you.

Ron (dorunron)

CapeAnn likes this.
  11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just to clarify the situation:
    Your initial post makes it sound like the car sat unused for 2 weeks straight; is that right ??

You need to become familiar with the connection points under the hood, just incase you need it again later AND if it will be common for the car to sit unused for weeks at a time, you should seriously consider getting a 2 amp battery tender and using it during periods of non-use.

If you completely discharge the battery more than once it can GREATLY diminish it's useful life.
    If it sits in a discharged state very long it can be even worse.

CapeAnn likes this.
  12. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again guys. I will have Toyota Care come over and jump start the battery shortly. I will be paying careful attention to how they do this, because as mentioned - I might be doing this again on my own. With conventional batteries - it was a no brainer. This battery has brains on top of the plastic housing! I really didn't expect that.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep an eye on how they attempt to hook up the wires. reverse polarity can be expensive.

CapeAnn likes this.
  14. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The battery has a pro-rated warranty of its own. I would attempt to get the dealer to replace the battery. Scream and yell about the Thousand dollars plus you spent on a worthless extended warranty.

My opinion is you should cancel the extended warranty anyway. It very seldom returns you anything.

CapeAnn likes this.
  15. CapeAnn

CapeAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again fellas for the information. Tally's Hookers in Cape Ann came (via Toyota care) and used a Battery Pack to start the Prius. The tech lifted the cover off the massively complicated fuse box, grounded the battery pack cable inside the engine compartment and the ICE started right up.

What I discovered is that the wife had left the driver side interior light on - which drained the battery dead. ;) Lesson learned.

I appreciate your timely advice fellas.

Sincerely,

CapeAnn

16. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Why am I seeing the word "strangle" in my mind? :D

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, how many times have i done that.:oops:

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually caught myself leaving one on too. It is real easy to do, especially if you are in a hurry.

19. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have only done that 3-4 times!!!! Good thing I went in the garage and noticed the light on. Darn map lights!(n)