1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead after new 12v battery swap.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Smardaz, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Smardaz

Smardaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    On my phone. Please excuse the lack of details. Left hatch partially open on my 2008, found it dead when I came to it. Left a charger on overnight with no change. As the battery was 6 years old decided to buy new one, once connected the car is now COMPLETELY dead. I have checked some fuses and so far they seem to test good.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has to be a defective battery or a bad connexxion, if it's not a fuse

3. Smardaz

Smardaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ok, now that I'm back at my pc this story must be told, the world must know I'm an idiot. I took the caps off the new battery before I installed it. While connecting the neg terminal, hit the pos and arced it. I thought I could get away with this as it happened to me once on my Explorer years ago with seemingly no ill effects. Long story short, I was wrong. Fortunately, O'Reilleys swapped it out anyway and I'm back up and running.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Swapped what out? The 12 V battery for another one?

Whatever happened there is more to it than you have detailed, but you should go and purchase a state lottery ticket as you were almightily fortunate not to do any damage to the car's electronics.

Glad you are all up and running.

5. Smardaz

Smardaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, they gave me another 12v, also, the positive was not connected when I arced it so it could not do any damage to the cars electronics.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've always heard connect positive first, then negative. Use just a box wrench, much less likely to short.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I read this as he inadvertently touched one end of his tool to the (+) terminal while the other end was still in contact with the (-) terminal.

If so, at least it didn't weld itself to the terminals and provide a molten steel shower to everything in the vicinity.

Mendel Leisk likes this.