1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead animal I n 2008 AC/can’t find it

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bonnie San Diego, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Bonnie San Diego

Bonnie San Diego New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    08 Prius, 199k miles, never given me a problem, catalytic converter replaced two years ago. Love my girl.
    I noticed a bad smell in the mighty Prius on Wednesday when I ran the AC, haven’t driven car since April so makes sense animal took up residence in the beast. Looked under the hood and power washed her, nothing. Changed cabin air filter, wasn’t there. Smell horrific now. Driving last night and something wet dropped onto my foot- mutant corpse juice. Currently taking dash apart and cleaning- wow. If you haven’t done that and you have dogs who ride in the car, fur and dust alert. How do I get to the ac area the animal nested in and died? Frustrated. Thanks.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If something got as far as your foot, then it’s in the ductwork after the blower.

3. Bonnie San Diego

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, thanks for the speedy reply. Yikes. I'm in trouble if that’s the case. I’m not sure it was corpse juice now that I’m in here, nothing’s leaking down now and the floorboard is dry.
    How do I access the blower?

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck,

That's nearly a Stephen King like moment.
    Bad enough but not uncommon that a rodent dies somewhere in a vehicle. But to have the smell then be driving along and have wet "corpse juice" dropping on your foot seems like foreshadowing.

Good Luck finding the remains.
    This would be a full Haz-Mat suit up for me.

Bonnie San Diego likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before taking the duct work apart inside the car, go after easier stuff on the outside... Like black plastic vent cover that comes off after you remove windshield wipers. I found signs of nesting under that before. Also inspect under black plastic flaps around wheels and if you can put the car on a lift and do a thorough undercarriage inspection. Main thing is how it got inside the car... There's no use looking for it in places it can't get into, I'd say the ducts after the filter are not likely...

PS: I've often been misled to think an electrical burning problem was coming from the dash when it actually was coming from the HV battery pack.

6. Bonnie San Diego

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey, I could just become the next Marvel superhero. Rodentwoman!
    Thanks for the good wishes, I’m determined to find this thing. I reckon the smell could be fly larvae which I’m not looking forward to dealing with. Hazmat suit to be sure.

7. Bonnie San Diego

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sage advice, will do. The upside of taking the inside apart is I’ve cleaned 11 years worth of dust, dog hair, and sand out of the beast.

#7 Bonnie San Diego, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2019
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also check carpet and upholstery... Perhaps milk or other nasty got spilt last Spring... Any corpse that died inside the car is going to be small and won't stink for long...

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you're still on the hunt, you might as well tear into the rear passenger area around the 12v battery and take a look there.

Once inside you can go a little deeper and clean up the HV battery fan (be sure to also check the power connector for corrosion), where you will also have much of the same attached to the fan vanes.

PriusCamper and Raytheeagle like this.