1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Aux Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by marjam, Jun 17, 2006.

1. marjam

marjam Member

I have a 2004 Prius with 33500 on it and love the car. Today I managed (which is hard to do!) to leave the headlights on during a 3-hour picnic. Came back -- car won't start. I had it jumped (which took a while) but it finally started. Then the Triangle Of Death came on with the icon in the MFD that says the car should not be driven. (This is the little car with the ! through it). I was fifty miles from home and decided to drive home as everything was working fine. The TOD stayed on the entire trip. When I got home I shut the car down and then restarted it and the Triangle was gone. So now I guess the Aux battery is recharged. My question -- should I do anything else? Should it go to the dealer or is everything fine?

Thanks,

Marjam

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you're fine. The battery might not hold a charge as well as it did in the past but shouldn't present any serious problems.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You won't hurt anything, but with a weakened battery are now more likely to be stranded again. Once you've taken a lead acid battery down that far, it'll never be the same. Pretty cheap insurance to replace the AUX battery I think. "Least that's what I'd do. It is rarely a convenient time or place to jump-start!

4. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]272864[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the advice! Do I need to get the battery from Toyota or will any battery do?

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The Toyota OEM battery has a vent tube, so if you follow that rule, your choices are limited. See

http://home.comcast.net/~dldorrance/battery.html
    http://www.elearnaid.com/priusparts.html

The Conicelli online catalog also lists what is apparently the OEM battery for about $70. It is a bit difficult to find to by clicking through the choices. AFAIK no one has ordered yet from Conicelli. You be the first? Or, you could print their page take it to your shop and see if they would match the price?

Elearnaid has now purchased advertising on the Prius Owner's Group, and I know I saw his ad somewhere else too. Just in case that might sway your decision.

6. haceaton

haceaton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jun 17 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]272858[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if this applies to the '04, but it appears in the '06 service manual:

Whenever the aux battery is disconnected and then reconnected (presumable similar to discharged and jumped), you're supposed to reset the power window system:

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something similar happened to me. I left my car on for 4 hours in the blazing 102 degree weather, but luckily the car turned on fine. Maybe the HIDs saved me!

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 17 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]272864[/snapback]</div>
    The OEM aux battery is about $180.00 ( dealer ripp off). Kepp driving the car and the batt will get recharged at its fuller capacity. Probably will not get you to 100% but a good 95% will keep you going for a couple of years at least. ;)