1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead batteries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shrinkswo, Nov 2, 2007.

1. shrinkswo

shrinkswo Junior Member

I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't find an answer to my particular situation. I am in the military and assigned in the middle east. I left the states in July, put my 2004 prius in my neighbors garage and asked my mom to start it every two weeks and rev engine. Well, she didn't do it often enough and possibly left the car on but not turning over hence draining the battery vice charging it.

At any rate, I'm still overseas, the car is in the garage and everything is dead in it. I do'nt even think it can be towed because you can't put it in neutral (so my friend told me).

My questions:
    1)Which battery do I charge and how do I do it? Or does it just need jump start?

2)Can I just leave it as is until I return in Dec or will it cause more damage to leave it dead for two more months.

3) My neighbor might have to leave her home. If the car is dead and not easily powered up, how do I get it out of her garage?

Thank you for any guidance.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the lead acid battery is flat the longer it is left flat the less likely it is you will be able to get it working again.

Have someone try to jump start it. You can connect jumper leads to the battery under the right rear luggage area, the cover is in a recess beside the lift up floor. Or there is a terminal under the fuse cover under the bonnet on the left side. There is no need to have the slave car running when jump starting, the current draw in minimal as the 12 volt system does not start the engine it just powers the control systems.

If it can be jump started leave it in park and powered up for half a day or charge the 12 volt battery with a battery charger. If the traction battery is dead you will need a Toyota dealer to charge it. Remind anyone trying to start it to put their foot on the brake when hitting the power button. If the system will power up and start the ICE (engine) when jumped but the 12 volt battery wont charge up you may need a new 12 volt battery. Lead acid batteries hate going flat.

If it needs to be towed you can connect jumper leads then put it in neutral then disconnect the battery. Don't flat tow the car any distance, have a towtruck do a front wheels up or tilt tray tow.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have them just buy an inexpensive jumper box or a battery charger (my choice for this situation would be the float charger so it can maintain the battery while you're away).
    More than likely it's simply the 12v that's discharged.
    Have them look in the owner's manual for the jump points under the hood (much easier to access than the battery itself) and jump from there.

Then I'd see if your mom would consider using your Prius as her primary vehicle. This would eliminate the risk of battery discharge. Save gas, and support your efforts overseas all at the same time.

Finally, you CAN just leave it until Dec., but you'll probably have to buy a new 12v battery if you leave it completely dischaged that long. Also, if the HV battery is in a very low SOC (if you mom didn't turn the car off and it ran out of gas and the HV got depleted) there is a small risk of damage to it if it's that low and stays there for 2 months.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Next time, just disconnect the 12-volt battery. Any car will have the very same problem given enough time. Trickle drains use up that finite supply of stored electricity available.

Once you jump the 12-volt, the Prius will be fine. But that small, lead-acid battery will now have a shorter life. The plates inside build up corrosion from that deep-discharge. Fortunately, your 2004 will be due for a 12-volt replacement anyway. So next year, you can start fresh and forget a jump was ever needed.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Nov 2 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]534008[/snapback]</div>
    Shhhhhhhsh!

My car might hear you...