1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kilton, Sep 2, 2012.

1. kilton

kilton New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I got back from being out of town for 4 days and my 2010 Prius IV was completely dead. It appears I somehow managed to not close the driver-side door all the way. Sigh.

Got a jump start and did the 45-minute ride home without issue. Now I wait to see if it'll start tomorrow. Couple questions:

1) Since this was the result of my own stupidity rather than the battery's natural life ending, what are the chances that it will work fine from here on out? Should I get it tested somewhere, or (if it keeps working) just run with it?

2) If it needs replaced, does the standard warranty cover it?

Thanks. :)

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Draining a battery will not kill it, usually.

It should work fine. Life may be slightly shorter if you do it often.

Dont know about warranty. Usually the battery is covered under the battery manufacturers warranty.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    your battery is only a couple year's old... It might die sooner but that's still a year or two or even more away....

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it works fine, it is fine for now. if the car exhibits any odd behavior in the future, start diagnosis by testing the battery.

5. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It helps that the Prius 12V is a deep cycle AGM battery and can better stand deep discharges compared to a normal starting battery with their thin, warp prone plates. Just fully recharge the 12V (several hours driving will do that).
    I have a small battery charger / maintainer / desulfator that has it's wiring harness connected directly to the 12V battery, with the small charger stored in the plastic package tray under the rear floor. If I partally discharge the 12V and will not drive it for a few days, or will not be driving the Prius for several weeks, I connect the charger to the battery pigtail route it outside through the rear deck seal and plug it into an extension cord. This recharges the battery and maintains it at full charge while removing any sulfation that developed on the battery plates from being discharged.
    The one I like is the BatteryMINDer, sold by northern tool co. It is one of the few maintainers that are safe for an AGM battery. Others may dry out the limited supply of electrolyte contained in an AGM battery.
    BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

6. kilton

kilton New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone -- looking good.

Another question out of curiosity: to recharge the battery, does it matter if the car is just sitting (on) in park vs. actually being driven?

7. Patrick recommends leaving the car in ready, and letting it charge for at least 8 hours after a battery depletion incident.