1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead battery result of back hatch not fully closed for two days-qustions about parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kenoarto, Sep 16, 2009.

1. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Couldn't open rear hatch yesterday. Tried to start car-nuthin'--no lights, no computer. Waited all night, tried again, but still nadda. Started right up via jump. All the memory points are still there. Drove 15 minutes to dealer. (Side story below) Battery load test tech says all is fine (despite written request tech did not write down voltage GRRRRR).

2005 battery probably due for replacement about now...winter is coming...$175 battery is really expensive...should I wait another year? Did complete drain harm battery to the point of being unreliable?

Scary side story: Went to CarX for battery replacement. I was very careful to insist that manager confirm and then re-recheck they had the EXACT correct battery for my 05 with nav and SKS. He repeatedly stated "we are doing lots of these on that age Prius lately". Mechanic got in car, but couldn't even find the start button, it let alone drive it (I had to teach him how to drive a Prius). This guy was asking a coworker where the battery was as he was looking under the hood! "Is that one of those hybrids he shouted?" I then showed the mechanic where the battery was. I stood there and read instructions to him as he tried to replace battery. It was a sad comedy. After removing positive terminal, mechanic noticed battery terminals on the "exact" Delco replacment were too large. Manager came by to said "oh, that's too bad, oh well". Ultimately took mechanic 30 minutes to put things back together (he forgot which bolt went where).

Note: Found snapped hanger clip on point front edge of battery cover (flat carpeted interior trim behind wheel well). Pointy end bends a bit under light weight.
    Question 1: should all three batterycover/floor legs have black felt padding? The front leg has no padding on mine.

Question 2: rear hatch struts have always been too stiff. How to adjust/lube for easier close and faster, full open.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Test it yourself with the self-test procedure (no tools required):
    PriusOnline.com • View topic - how to put 12V battery in sleeping mode?
    If you get less than 12.0V under load, it's dying.

As you have discovered there is no direct replacement aftermarket battery. One, it must be a vented battery, and two, it will require adapting the cables and/or the mounting. The least trouble is to have a dealer replace it. The dealer can replace those broken clips while he's at it.

eLearnaid sells an Optima yellowtop with a complete adapter kit and very thorough instructions. It won't save you any money but it should be a more robust battery.

Practice *always* locking the car when you park it. If it gives a long warning beep it means that one of the most common battery draining conditions exists (open hatch, etc.).

Yep, those hatch struts can be quite stiff...

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What a terrific set of helpful answers with a great link. Alas, battery is testing at 11.9 no load, 11.7 with load. Oh well, another day another $175 dollars. FYI: The Delco battery is the right hight and width, the post are just a tad to large...

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You can order either an adapter kit and/or a better battery (Yellow-top Optima) from elearnaid 12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 with installation kit and free shipping and you will save some money.

JeffD

5. beachskipper

beachskipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We had the same experience with our 2010 Prius. Some fabric left in the back got snagged in the latch, and although latched closed the switch was not closed. The battery went dead in about two days. Toyota replaced it free, but it required a tow and the whole affair would've been about $200. Keep all items away from latch, and this is a good case for a cargo net.

A side-effect realization is that the transmission can't be put in neutral, so the whole car must be dragged onto a flatbed truck if pulled from rear (if front is in a garage or carport). Too bad there is not a release mechanism for the tranny.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unless the 12V battery has become shorted, you can use the jump points under the hood to jump start a Prius with a dead battery. This will avoid the whole "drag it onto a flatbed" scenario.

Tom