1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blueprius06, Aug 26, 2017.

1. blueprius06

blueprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius has relatively low miles @ 60k miles. My girlfriend left the interior lights on for a period of time and tried to drive it the next day, it got down the road when it died. The traction battery shows 1 bar and when I tested the 12V and it was low so I put it on a charger and charged it back up. But it wouldn't start, when it's put in drive it will only go into neutral. I disconnected the 12V and let it sit overnight and I reconnected it and tried it again the ICE started up for a few seconds and dies. It has gas and he gas gauge shows 3 bars. I connected a obd2 scantool and torque is telling me 13.8V lowest and 14.4V highest block. I called a prius shop and they said to replace the HV battery. But is it possible that all it to run is it to charge the HV battery? The SOC is too low?

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are mixing your measurements. You have tested and partially charged your small, 12 volt battery. You certainly need a new 12v battery. You still need to test your HV/traction battery. Replace the 12v first AND then have your hv tested (you need code numbers). Only 60,000 miles on an 11 year old car? Wow!

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't believe is the hv battery if your girlfriend drove it down the street and it died. That's usually not a battery issue when that happens. If it was a battery issue, it would not died while you're driving it.

I'm suspecting you might have a shorted inverter pump and that's why you can't start it. Check the am2 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. If it's blown, you'll need a new inverter pump

4. blueprius06

blueprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the car started out as a parts runner whenever we need shop supplies. It started to sit since when they first got it and I put a 12V trickle charger because it would sit for long periods of time without being used. I only wish I knew more about it at the time and I would have got something for the traction battery. But only after asking over and over when they are going to get rid of it (they didn't like its styling) that they replaced it with a pickup and I bought it. It always had been maintained by the dealer and I could get it up to 40mph before the ICE would kick in so it was a no brainer for me.

5. blueprius06

blueprius06 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About two months ago I had the inverted coolant changed, so now that you say that I wonder if that's what is going on.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's best if you can get the codes read.

But to check the fuse, only takes a minute. You can also check if the inverter pump works by looking for water movement in the inverter coolant reservoir when the car is on. If no movement, the pump is not working