1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by aquamarine, Jan 1, 2007.

1. aquamarine

aquamarine New Member

I have a 2001 Prius. The car will not turn over. I called AAA to see if they could jump start. AAA tried to jump start it from the battery in the trunk. He said he jump started a 2001 the day before and it started right up. He found water in my trunk. Does anyone think this was the problem? It worked fine Saturday night and was completed dead Sunday morning.

I am worried that this could become quite spendy. I have never had trouble with my car before. Does this mean it will be downhill from now on? That the battery's have outlived their projected life?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. Russell

Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2001 Prius. The car will not turn over. I called AAA to see if they could jump start. AAA tried to jump start it from the battery in the trunk. He said he jump started a 2001 the day before and it started right up. He found water in my trunk. Does anyone think this was the problem? It worked fine Saturday night and was completed dead Sunday morning.

I am worried that this could become quite spendy. I have never had trouble with my car before. Does this mean it will be downhill from now on? That the battery's have outlived their projected life?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Your 12Volt battery might be 6 years old, if original. That's a good life for the battery.
    Keep in mind that the 12V has no reflection on the hybrid battery that has many, many years left in it.
    Replacement of the 12V sounds like what you need.
    Russ

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am not familiar with the G1 Prius but I assume the 12 Volt battery is in the trunk? If so, and if it got flooded it is probably completely dead and may not recover. You should take it out and take it to a battery shop and have it tested. The hybrid battery (that's the big expensive one) may or may not be damaged, so check the little 12 volt one first. Is it possible that the hybrid battery was under water also? If so you may need to become a Prius expert, or take it to a Toyota dealer. Anyway I think more information is needed such as: how did the trunk get water in it? was it flooded if so how long? etc.

4. aquamarine

aquamarine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiWheel @ Jan 2 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]369589[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the info. I have it in the shop now at Toyota. They think it might be the 12V battery also.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jan 2 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]369594[/snapback]</div>

I have it in the shop now at Toyota. They think it might be the 12 volt battery. They said you could not damage the battery in the trunk. It is sealed so tightly that you could pour water on it all day & have no problems.

Thank for your input.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    6 years is a long lifetime for one of those 12v batteries. chances are it was time for a new one. let us know if that does the trick.