1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead car, nothing works. Triangle of death showing. All dash lights on, will not run.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Al Campos, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Al Campos

Al Campos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Driving at 75mph and all stop. All dash warning lights are on including the Tri-angle of death. Had to have the car towed 257 miles back home again. Don't do that, $5.00/mile. Pulled the HV battery, all cells check out in normal voltage range, 7.25 dcv to 7.48 dcv. The 12 volt battery gives me good voltage readings too. This is a 2008 Prius Touring Hatch Back with about 148,000 miles. Everything seemed fine before this happened. Was getting 49.1 mpg and all was working well. Watched so many you tube videos my head is spinning. Tried so many suggestions I feel I am getting to know my Prius on a personal level.

Suggestions?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Sure as?
    Can you use a hybrid compatible OBD2 coder to read and post the stored DTCs?

Skibob and strawbrad like this.
  3. Parvaiz Iqbal

Parvaiz Iqbal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to Check your HV Battery Red Connector , Insert in , Push to up side and Then push straight down.
    or it stop before you checking the battery.
    I had this issue was not inserting the Safety Clip Properly

SFO and bisco like this.
  4. Al Campos

Al Campos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Removed the battery. cleaned all the nuts & contacts on both sides of the battery. Reinstalled it and the main disconnect is in place correctly. Same results, nothing but all dash warning lights are on.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the 15A AM2 fuse. If it has blown, then you need to replace the inverter coolant pump.
    2. If you find that fuse is OK, and you don't have any other clues, you will need to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes to obtain a clue about what is wrong. Mini VCI is the best means to do that.

Skibob likes this.
  6. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you sure you didn't run out of gas? That happened to me when I had a slight fuel leak and didn't think I was near empty. Is the fuel bar flashing empty?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A bad hv battery will not disable your car to the point everything stops, it'll probably get you into limp mode and you'll still have power. If everything stopped, then your problem is elsewhere.

When you said all lights are on, how many lights did you see? Any pictures?

Could the car have over heated? Water pump belt is in place?

A major issue that can disable you would be a transaxle failure

#7 JC91006, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.