1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Dead: Chevy Bolt EV and Bolt EUV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prim.e.xample, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    While I understand they want to offer more attractive and useable vehicles, the Bolt had a good price point with federal credits. The new vehicles will be much more expensive.

Dead: Chevy Bolt EV and Bolt EUV

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, we knew that was coming. It simply made no sense heavily promoting their new battery & platforms, while holding onto what was supposedly to become obsolete.

For those paying attention, the potential for Silverado EV to be produced on the line Bolt is currently on was mentioned early on.

When you look at Bolt, it has its place. The conquest sales are impressive. But the small vehicle type does nothing to change GM's own status quo. It did not target their own customer base.

In short, it failed as a "game changer" the same way Volt did.

#2 john1701a, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    wjtracy and bwilson4web like this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't blame GM. They were derived vehicles from gas platforms anyways. Better to integrate with an EV only platform.

4. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, lots of conquest sales, but it failed as a game changer? Didn't it sell, do not know, 2x the numbers in Q1 that Toyota has allowed for the entire year? That's a fail?

iplug likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The goal posts were established upon rollout. The intended target was GM own loyal customers. Without them changing, it's the same game.

6. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? Dude, don't word salad me...

GM is selling waaaay more of its obsolete Bolts than Toyota is selling bx4z. Heck, they're stealing Toyota customers. Any way you spin it, Bolt succeeded beyond any expectations. I bet Toyota would love a 'fail' like that.

El Dobro, austingreen, bisco and 3 others like this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Conquest = short-term

Game Changer = long-term

8. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More word salad... What makes you think those conquest customers will go back? What's Toyotas answer to VW, Hyundai/Kia, GM, Tesla? Not to mention Ford and Nissan...

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Use of "game changer" was with regard changing what existing loyal buyers of GM vehicles would purchase.

In other words, the point is to get someone who has an old Equinox ICE to replace it with a new Equinox EV.

This is precisely the situation the bankruptcy oversight committee expressed concern about with regard to true business change... too little, too slowly. Think about how long it has taken for GM to actually change one of their own key vehicles.

Conquest was a means of establishing reputation & experience by attracting short-term opportunity seekers, those willing to take a chance with new tech but by no means the target audience.

At least with Toyota, there is no denying bZ4X does not draw upon the RAV4 audience... a key customer for Toyota sales. As the platform matures, that same audience will be watching. They are showroom shoppers... which is the point.

#9 john1701a, Apr 25, 2023
  10. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you just make things up to fit your perception of reality? Please provide some links where Toyota states that they're not interested in selling bx4z to RAV4 customers?

In fact, given they're the same platform... that makes no sense? If anything, RAV4 customers who want an EV should flock to the bx4z.

What the heck is a showroom stopper? If you mean that the bx4z is supposed to stop sales of Toyotas... yeah, I'm with you on that.

bisco, iplug and Trollbait like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Bolt also didn't use the Ultium suite. Maybe it will be replaced at a later date. With GM tacking EV onto an ICE model name, even though a different platform underneath, doesn't seem likely

GM loyal customers had stopped buying the Sonic. Toyota loyal customers had stopped buying the Yaris. The Bolt was a subcompact car holdout in a market of SUVs. The 2023 Trax was even cancelled with the new 2024 being larger.

In hindsight, we can say GM should have started with a larger segment. Smaller meant smaller batteries though, and the Bolt started when cell production volumes were lower.Wasn't that one of the reasons Toyota started with an EV iQ?
    Rav4 customers want the Prime, but since they can't find them, maybe they'll get a bZ4X.

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the article in the OP linked.
    My guess is that by the time the Blazer EVs show up the Bolt EVs and Bolt EUVs will be quietly moved to the back of the lot, and dealers will want to move on, you know, to the future.
    Yeah, I am definitely waiting for those Bolt on the back of the lot. The sooner they move to the back, the sooner I will be able to buy it even better than the current price. Right now, I just can't find any in the lot, and those on transit are already spoken for.

austingreen and iplug like this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We have already been through this. Two-Mode with a plug was that effort. It got dropped, claiming a start with smaller would be better.

14. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Don't tell @john1701a that... since, ya know, in his reality the Bolt is a failure.

On a sort of related note, we went from a 2014 Prius to a 2020 Niro EV and then added a 2021 ID.4. We lost the Niro to an accident earlier this year (illegal left hand turn, not by us), and when looking at a possible Bolt EUV replacement, we couldn't find any on lots. Every one we found was spoken for, and dealers told us we'd have to order one and wait. Luckily, the because it isn't eligible for the tax credit, we were able to get a replacement Niro EV.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    SHOPPER has been sighted as the target audience for years.

STOPPER is mistaken reading.

16. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I made a reservation for Solterra early last year, but the failed wheel hub bolt and delay in delivery, higher than initially estimated final price, lower than expected charging and EV range specs, and loss of fed tax credit after Aug 16 made me cancel the order. I ended up trading in Prius Prime and our aging Pathfinder Hybrid for an Escape PHEV which still qualified for a $6834 fed tax credit. I am now looking for an "affordable" commuter BEV. With Leaf, Niro, and a few other sub $40K BEVs no longer qualifying for the fed tax credit. The Bolt is the only car left on my shortlist.

john1701a likes this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Speaking of Conquest sales, weren't the biggest bunch of prospective car shoppers those who owned a Prius only tto jump ship to go to tesla - because Toyota had nothing to offer their loyal customers?
    Throwing stones in a glass houses doesn't rewrite history. Remember? the new Toyota leadership has acknowledged they in essence got rid of the old guard - when it was determined they didn't "Know Their Audience"

#17 hill, Apr 25, 2023
    El Dobro and iplug like this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Two-mode failed on cost. It didn't even make it into the Volt.

19. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry... I read before you made your edit.

Have you considered the id.4? It's a bit over that price, but it's leagues nicer than anything in that range.

#19 FalconSeven, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2023
  20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Who are those guys anyway. ;)