1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead FOB Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by derh2o, Oct 9, 2012.

1. derh2o

derh2o Junior Member

The other day I was traveling, about 400 miles from home. Stopping to get coffee, I left my Fob on the passenger seat and locked the door using the switch on the door. I did not realize it at the time, but the door locked with the fob inside. Normally one can not lock the door if the sensor notices the fob inside the car. Of course, when i returned to the car, the doors would not open and i was locked out. After AAA opened my car door, i was not able to start the car, so i put the fob in it's receiver and the car started.

I then realized that for the past week after turning the car off and opening the door, i would here one beep. Not knowing what that beep was for, i ignored it which of course was a stupid thing to do. Since the car was not recognizing the fob, i replaced the battery in the fob when i got home and wala, the fob began working normally. So, I am assuming the beep i heard was a low fob battery warning. Is my assumption right?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You got it! That was the low battery warning.

Lesson learned the hard way for you, but I bet other owners with several years on their FOB battery already will appreciate the experience you shared.

3. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes very good post. All of us using the fob for years without checking the battery should do it now. Thanks.