1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Hybrid Battery Best Options for Hawaii

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mom of Prius, May 13, 2019.

1. Mom of Prius

Mom of Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please HELP a mom with a dead 2006 Prius. My long story -----

I bought a 2006 Prius in 2013. I LOVED it. Then in 2014 I got the death triangle signal. Since I couldn't afford a Toyota OEM hybrid battery at $5K, I looked around at various chats. There were a lot of good reviews for the Dorman battery. I ordered one from Rock Auto for $2557.65 with an additional shipping cost to HI. It arrived in a big, heavy duty plastic case. I had the mechanic replace the OEM battery with the Dorman one. The mechanic said the top was bashed in. I emailed photos to Rock Auto but heard crickets. I was desparate to get my only car working again so I told the mechanic install it as is. It worked for 3 months then I got the death triangle again. I called Rock Auto and they said I would have to purchase a new one (again) for $2556.65, pay the mechanic $500 to remove the Dorman battery, find someone with a car big enough to transport it and me to FedEx or UPS to send it back, pay the $310 cost of shipping the old one back again, then I would get the core charge or $ back for just the battery. It was sooomuch money after my intial purchase. I didn't even have a chance to payoff the card with the original Dorman purchase. I was so sick and didn't have that kind of money. I begged Rock Auto for some kind of break since I was in Hawaii and the shipping such a heavy item was so much and it stopped working so soon after the installation. Crickets. I put the car in storage and shut the door in disgust and sadness.

I am now wanting to revive the dormant Prius again. I do not want to go through this kind of terrible experience again. No, I cannot afford a new car. No, I cannot afford a new Toyota OEM battery. Although the prices have gone down for people living on the mainland, in Hawaii, the prices are still very high. SInce time has passed and I know there has been advances out there regarding the hybrid batteries, can you suggest my options for replacing my dead Dorman hybrid battery? If you have specific companies that you can recommend to me for a specifc kind of product (entire new battery, rebuild, cells, etc.) I would appreciate the guidance. I would like to keep the car for a long time. Keep in mind that I am in Hawaii so I have some limitations with some of the companies sending the battery to me.

Looking forward to hearing about solutions from some of experienced Prius owners .

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #2 Skibob, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    fragglestickcar likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skibob likes this.
  4. Mom of Prius

Mom of Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you for the lead, Skibob. I will check out @2k1 Toaster. I really appreciate the heads up to change my 12v battery, fuel lines, and drain the gas tank. I forgot that sitting gas or half full gas tanks are not great for your car. Much Mahalo (Thanks)!!!!

5. Mom of Prius

Mom of Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you SFO. I quickly checked out the recommended thread. Sounds like atp162 had similar experiences or worse. Other members had brought up a possiblity that maybe I don't live in a state where it is economically feasable to own an older Prius. I am not ready to go down that route since I really do love the car.

I will closely read the posts and the advise expecially things like cleaning the fan, etc. to make the best environment for the "new" battery to live. Much Mahalo (Thanks)!!!!!

SFO and bisco like this.
  6. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't help you, but I am sympathetic to making what seems like a safe bet, and getting burned.

SFO likes this.
  7. Mom of Prius

Mom of Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the suggestions and the words of empathy.
    I checked into the Honolulu Toyota OEM replacement battery at a cost of $3059. I am thinking of getting a new battery not from Toyota. If I do, then it will be a DIY. What voltage meter, gloves, etc. would you recommend for me to purchase so I can safely remove the old battery and install the new battery?

8. Mom of Prius

Mom of Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the suggestions and the words of empathy.
    I checked into the Honolulu Toyota OEM replacement battery at a cost of $3059. I am thinking of getting a new battery not from Toyota. If I do, then it will be a DIY. What voltage meter, gloves, etc. would you recommend for me to purchase so I can safely remove the old battery and install the new battery?

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I tell people they can repair their battery I always post this video.

You would have to do some things different than are done in the video, but it gives you an idea of how to remove and reinstall the battery. 2k1toasters instructions will get you the rest of the way. Watch the video and let us know what you think.

10. Yiusef

Yiusef New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I been driving my Toyota Prius 2009 for two weeks and all the dashboard lights keep coming on off but usually after I drive the car for a while
    I changed the inventer water pump month ago but I still have lights on and off
    Can anybody help me please

Attached Files:

11. Maureen G.

Maureen G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also in Hawaii, on the Big Island, and my (new to me as of 2 months ago) 2005 Gen 2 with 105k miles, has a failing hybrid battery. I just got the red triangle of death and all the assorted lights, starting two days ago. I've called the shop that works on Prii here, and they quoted me $3,679 with a new battery from Toyota. Not an option.

I came here to ask about the kit I found online and see it's by 2k1Toaster, linked here. I was going to ask about the reputation of these batteries but I take it those here on this thread are backing them. This one is $1845, including shipping.

That same shop quoted $420 installation fee if I provided the battery, but no warranty. I didn't ask them about a different configuration, but my guess is that will add to the cost, especially since there are few options here. I'm guessing they'd add a couple hundred on, so my cost is getting up around $2,500.

So my question is are there more affordable options that will keep my car going for a few more years?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is about the most affordable long term option there is. Just remember you can sell your modules that are still good and make some of that cost back. Based on Hawaii prices you should get some good money.

13. djkastar

djkastar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

14. djkastar

djkastar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Aloha,
    I reside in Hilo & am possibly in need of a new replacement battery system.
    I am hoping you’d be able to refer me to someone as I may be experiencing the same issue as your described situation.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Mahalo.