1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Pedal Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Penny's Dad, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone want to go in on setting up a Dead Pedal cover for the Gen III?

I found a manufacturer who I think will do a very good job. Being Cheap I want to somehow split the set-up cost. See response to my inquiry below:

Thank you for your e-mail, we appreciate your interest in our products.

Could you please let us know how you found out about Ultimate Pedals?

No problem to make a footrest pedal for your 2010 Toyota Prius.

We do not have any information about the Prius footrest, but it is not a problem to design/manufacture one.

Would it be possible to get a photo or sketch with dimensions of the
    footrest:

1) height
    2) width at the bottom (assuming a triangular shape)

Pricing would be identical to our Toyota Corolla pedals pricing plus a one time $25 setup/programming fee.

Please click on the following link to see our Corolla products (select a product then scroll down for finish options with pricing):

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=149_151

Custom engraving/emblem pocketing cost is $15 per pedal for standard artwork in our database.

Non standard artwork/emblem pocketing, like initials or custom artwork, will cost an additional one time setup/programming fee of $25 or more (depending on the complexity).

If you would like to proceed with the order simply order the Corolla pedals that you would like, but specify your Prius and any engraving/emblem pocketing during the checkout process when you are asked to indicate year, make, and model.

We will then match the pedals for your Prius instead of the Corolla when we manufacture your order, and charge your card any/the extra amount before we ship your order.

Please let us know if you require any additional information.

No questions asked money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the fit or finish.

Don't settle for "One Size Fits All" pedals.

Have a great day!

Rob Baylor
    www.ultimatepedals.com
    [email protected]
    (561) 798-6588 Phone
    (561) 798-6994 Fax

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Excellent idea. Make one wide enough to cover the strip of carpet to the right of the dead pedal that's extremely susceptible to wear.

How do you install it anyway?

We should have PC invite them to offer it on the Prius shop.

3. liteguy

liteguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be very interested in a dead pedal cover. The area of carpet kind of a stupid design especially out here in the nw.
    Liteguy

4. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you look at the Ultimate pedal's design they make a type with a flange design...this means that the metal retruns over the side and completely prevents carpet wear. There are many patterns available and we can even have the PriusChat logo imprinted in the footrest if we want more design.

I think if we want a group purchase someone needs to take a lead on design. It should be some kind of group purchase otherwise one of us will waste our money designing something no one else wants. Design services seem to be around $50.00 combined in addition to the actual cost of the dead pedal.

5. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I forwarded this from the Main forum for further discussion.
    Originally Posted by Tideland Prius [​IMG]
    nice! I'd get a set for the accelerator and brake pedals too! A bit pricey but if it's real aluminium, maybe we can get a group buy?

I addition to myself I now know two people who responed to the new thread on the Accessory forum who are interested. I think Prius Chat should work with Ultimate pedals to design since you can get several metal patterns and even a logo stamp. If I picked something others might not like but if Prius Chat designed it then I think most would be happy to live with what was arrived at to save the $50.00 ($25.00 one time set up + $25.00 logo design if desired) set up fee. I would love to purchase through PriusChat once it is set up...My vote is for the one with the Flange that returns down the side completely covering the carpet.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Second that, but avoid the PC logo because not everybody will purchase one with a logo even through group buy. It should also be smooth as it's a dead pedal.

How is it installed? Do you actually remove the existing dead pedal, and if so, how?

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had similar aluminum pedal covers on other cars (see pic below). For the gas, brake & clutch (where applicable) you remove the rubber pedal covers and use screws to the attach aluminum covers. For the deal pedal, you just place it over the existing one and use screws to attach, since most OEM dead pedal covers are molded into the carpet and can't really be removed.

I actually think an aluminum dead pedal (or gas or brake pedal) would look out of place in a Prius (like a stainless exhaust tip would). This isn't a sports car. ;)

One last point is if you do get aluminum pedal covers, it 's best to get ones with rubber dimples, so your feet don't slip when your shoes are wet (even the ones with ridges aren't very effective when wet).

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe gunmetal (if available) would blend in better and coordinate well with all three interior color trims, but the Prius has a pretty sporty interior, especially in Misty Gray. It has a sporty steering wheel, which is why a wood trim looks out of place in there.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree with this--but, because wood trim is more appropriate in a luxury car, and the Prius is not one. ;)

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While that's also true, if you transplant the Prius interior to a luxury car it'll still look wrong primarily because of the sporty steering wheel.

11. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess we wait to hear if something will come of this request?

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why wait? Be proactive and send an inquiry to one of the moderators. I'm sure they'll waive the set up fees for group buy since they'll get a lot more customers that way.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That would be like putting lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig. :D

There's nothing luxurious about this interior, so you could "transplant" it to a Rolls or a Bentley, and it would be unchanged. It's a Toyota interior...'nuff said.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a set of aluminium pedals would work well with the two grey interiors. I would definitely prefer one with anti-slip pads (the ones with the flat tops seem better than the domed ones). I live in places that get a lot of rain and a lot of snow (not at the same time.. two different cities but I frequently travel btwn them) and one that will not slip when wet is a must. (i.e. I prefer one with raised black rubber than the ones with holes in them).

Penny, you can contact Danny... OR just ask if Ultimate Pedals is willing to do a Group Buy and you can set one up yourself via the owner/webmaster.

15. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never done that before...contacted Danny that is...I guess I can figure it out. I will ask Ultimte pedals if they are willing to do a Group Buy but I have no I dea how to set one up bia the Owner/Webmaster..remember I am a designer not an IT guy like most of you!
    BTW Penny is my Daughter...not me...:)

16. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright I sent the E-mail to Rob...hopefully he will want to go this route...Otherwise I will have to waste my Father's day money to set the order up myself....See e-mail below.

Dear Rob...please see the e-mail below from the Prius Chat moderator. They would like to set up a Group Buy if you are willing through the Owner/Webmaster of Prius Chat who is named Danny. Let me know if this is something you would consider. I already know 3-others on the site besides myself who are interested. If you go to PriusChat.com and check out the accessories forum you can see the store as well as the thread about Ultimate Pedals.

Regards,

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah well I was being lazy... I guess I could've been even lazier and called you PD... or P Diddy LOL sorry.

18. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can see below that they are happy to do a group buy...
    I don't really want a whole pedal set just a footrest...
    What do I do now?
    Someone who knows Danny please see if he is interested in setting this up or not...

Thank you for your e-mail, we would be happy to offer the following group buy discounts (assuming orders are manufactured at the same time):

10+ pedal sets - 15% discount to each participant
    20+ pedal sets - 20% discount to each participant

pedal set minimum definition is:

1) gas, brake, and footrest (automatic transmission)

-or-

2) gas, brake, clutch, and footrest (manual transmission).

We can spread out any setup/programming fees among all the orders.

Custom engraving/emblem pocketing cost is $15 per pedal for standard artwork in our database.

Non standard artwork/emblem pocketing, like initials or custom artwork, will cost an additional one time setup/programming fee of $25 or more (depending on the complexity).

Engraving/emblem pocketing not subject to discount.

Shipping costs are:

1) ~$12 to $14 for UPS ground (US orders)
    2) ~$39 to $45 for US Mail Global Priority (International orders)

Please let us know if you require any additional information.

Don't settle for "One Size Fits All" pedals.

Have a great day!

Rob Baylor
    www.ultimatepedals.com
    [email protected]
    (561) 798-6588 Phone
    (561) 798-6994 Fax

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, the pedal set is overkill. Email back and tell them PC is only interested in the footrest/dead pedal cover, as this corrects a design flaw/complaint among Prius owners concerning carpet wear. I don't think anybody except maybe those with pimped out Prius would be interested in the pedal set. They're going to make way more money off the dead pedal cover alone than the whole set.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... I actually don't mind a set although the shipping costs is almost 3x more >.<.

I enjoyed the sport pedals on my last Prius and given that this one is all grown up, I figured I might as well get a nicer set.

I'm ok with no engraving but if we do, maybe a PRIUS or HSD logo is fine.