1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Prius, 3 hours away, my wife at the wheel, what to do.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pre~us, Sep 24, 2012.

1. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

Of course we can have it towed, I can drive there to see what I can do. She was driving and everything was fine. She parked the car to take care of some business, cam back out 5 minutes later, nothing. No dash warning lights, no "no key" warning light in the dash, zip. We just replaced the aux battery 3 weeks ago and it's been running beautifully with an 8 hour trip to the Canadian border and back. I assume if the battery were dead in the remote but the car were fine the little key light in the dash would be flashing? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Peter.

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Loose clamp on aux battery?

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This does sound like a 12volt battery problem or the connections to the same. If your wife can get someone to jump start the car using great care to connect the jump leads correctly the car should go to ready. Once in ready mode the car can be driven normally even without the 12volt battery, providing it is not turned off again.

the car can be jumped from the terminal under the hood in the fuse box or directly to the 12v battery in the rear of the car. Hope this helps good luck .

John.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Peter,

Sounds like the 12V battery is discharged. For a definitive check, turn on one of the
    overhead cabin lights. If nothing, discharged 12V for sure. As previously noted,
    probably a loose wire at the battery lugs, or the smaller negative lead where it
    attaches to the body.

With a new 12V, a jump start should set things aright, although the full discharge
    will lead to shortened service life.

Be absolutely sure to read the Owner's Manual about about jump starting. If the
    leads are reversed -- or some say even "sparked" -- it can lead to costly electronic
    damage said to be up to ~$4K.

Doing the jump start yourself would be reason enough to drive the 3 hrs to rescue
    your car.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Peter. There may have been an installation error (eg loose clamp) on the battery. But alternatively there may have been some underlying issue of the battery not charging that caused the previous one to need replacing. In particular, a failed inverter coolant pump can cause this to occur once it gets too hot. So that's definitely something to check once you get it going.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good point Uart but I think there would have been drive ability problems with the inverters shutting down. No lights at all suggest a complete lack of 12v supply, but it will be interesting to discover the final problem. Inconvenient as it obviously is for the OP and his wife.