1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Traction Battery Barely Out of Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave@Moon, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Dave@Moon

Dave@Moon Junior Member

The traction battery in my 2005 Prius IV decided to give up the ghost this week, exactly 2 months and 3000 miles after the warranty expired. The cost quoted at the dealership for replacement is $3150.00, which is about 1/2 the car's value.

What I want to know is does Toyota give any leniency in warranty claims for the battery? Is it possible to get some compensation for a battery that needed replacement so soon after the warranty expired? Has anyone been successful in collecting something in compensation? I've had success with other manufactures (Subaru & Mazda) getting severe discounts when something broke so soon out of warranty (50% off both times, once with free labor), and I know others who've done so as well.

I am the original owner of the car (2005, 103,000 miles), and this is one of 4 Toyotas I've bought (same dealership) in 8 years (2010 Prius II (since traded in on the 2013), 2012 Yaris, & a 2013 Prius II).

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess it depends where you live, though it sounds like you're a loyal Toyota customer.

My inverter failed 10,000 miles out of warranty, but because I had a full Toyota service history and had bought another Toyota from the same dealer, Toyota paid for the part and I paid the fitting costs.

But the UK warranty on my gen3 Prius is only upto 60,000 miles, so if it had failed in the US, the part would have been covered in full at 70,000 miles. Toyota UK's response is that if you've been loyal to them (using Toyota for your servicing) then they'll be loyal to you and will often assist when slightly out of warranty. If you've not got a Toyota service history, then they stick to the warranty limit religiously.

It certainly won't hurt to ask the question though.

Dave@Moon likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in the US, contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center in Torrance, CA to see if they will help you with the traction battery repair costs. Many other Prius Chat posters in your position have found that Toyota will provide partial or full assistance, do a search if you need details.

Alternatively you can have a used battery from a salvage vehicle installed in your car, to provide some additional service life at a relatively low cost. Good luck.

Dave@Moon likes this.
  4. Dave@Moon

Dave@Moon Junior Member

Well, it's in the hands of the Regional Service Manager now. The dealership sent in a request for assistance this morning. We'll see what corporate says.:unsure:

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. Dave@Moon

Dave@Moon Junior Member

It took a week or so to get back to us, but Toyota offered a good will partial payment of $1000.00 towards the repair. The car will be going in Monday for the new battery. Thanks for everyone's help!:)

JMD and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  7. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model: