1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Deal struck' at UN climate talks

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TimBikes, May 4, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is an interesting article I thought people might want to see regarding the current climate talks in Bangkok. In it they discuss the costs of various CO2 stabilization scenarios, though they do not mention much about the mechanisms for stabilization or the "deal" that was struck or among which countries it was struck. I suspect we will find out more in the next few days, though if anybody has any info, please post.

(Also, in case anybody else catches it - yes - I believe the current level of co2 is around 380, not 425 as stated in the article).

See here

2. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Other news from the UN climate talks in Bangkok:

US named top climate change culprit
    (This one made the headlines over here)
    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) says the United States is the biggest culprit in climate change.
    WWF head Stephan Singer has urged the US, the world's top greenhouse gas emitter, to take swift action against global warming. "They are the biggest culprit and they are the biggest offender of climate," he said at a week-long session of the UN global warming authority, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, in Bangkok.

Limiting the effects of climate change will cost 300 dollar per person (Dutch)
    I cannot find an English version of this one. It's a quote out of the latest IPCC report, presented in Bangkok. For 300 dollar per person on the planet, it seems to be possible to limit the rise in temperature to two degrees Celsius by 2030.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder if the $300 per person worldwide is total or annual. Also, since 90% of the world lives in abject poverty, you can assume the costs to citizens in the US would be something like 10x this number. One could argue though, since we are the "chief culprit" we should also bear the bulk of the costs. Never-the-less, it is interesting to see a price tag put on it (though I was not able to read the Dutch article).

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ May 4 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]435327[/snapback]</div>
    Well actually, in total emissions, China is expected to pass us this year. Now if it's per capita you want to talk about, then we're fourth behind Australia, Luxembourg, and Canada.

5. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 4 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]435504[/snapback]</div>
    Good clarification.

6. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ May 4 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]435457[/snapback]</div>
    It's annual.