1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Added Package(s)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbermanmd, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I went this weekend to test drive and show my 20 year old son the Prius.

Several things:
    1. He found not being able to see the end of the front bumper disconcerting. He is 6'1". It is the same deal with our Sienna - and now I know why he does not like driving that car either. I was surprised that it does not have the Park Assist like the Sienna or my LS.

2. The owner of the dealership (Toyota of Greenwich, CT) has MANDATED that EACH and EVERY Prius be ordered/delivered with two additional packages that total an additional $1500.00. They are an appearance and safety package - or something like that. Anyway, when I put my deposit down on the car on August 4, 2006 there was no mention of these packages. I am really upset - this would be my second Toyota from this dealership in under two years - I feel like I am being taken advantage of here.

Interestingly enough, they had a loaded 2005 Prius with these two packages on it and they offered it to me minus the cost of the two extra packages. What do you guys think about this whole thing. Don't forget to opin on the value of the 2005 - the only thing it does not have over the 2006 that I ordered is the backup camera and the iPod connector. Should I take it or go somewhere else or what??

Color me mad, confused, upset... :-(

David

2. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    David,

I would find a different dealer... he is playing games with you. Prius are not in as tight demand as they were a while ago. You may have to wait a couple of weeks... but it shouldn't be longer than that. The vast majority of dealers simply charge MSRP. I bought one off the lot for $205 below MSRP, and then a 2nd one a couple of weeks later for the same price (I had thought it would be MSRP... but when they filled out the paperwork, they charged me the same as my previous car.... and I didn't complain).

I would not take an '05 unless it was deeply discounted... several thousand dollars... and even then I would hesitate. The '05 is a fine car, but there are reported improvements beyond what you mentiioned (handling, MFD resolution, etc). Also, your equity in the car will be lower with a year older Prius.

Ask yourself this... the 2006 models have been shipping for 1.5 months or so now.... why does this dealer still have a 2005 sitting there if demand is that high.

/Jim

3. cgraham

cgraham Member

"when I put my deposit down on the car on August (!) 4, 2006 " :)

You REALLY ARE mad and confused! :angry:

You should be! This is rapacious, dishonest and almost certainly, illegal conduct.

Do you have a written confirmation of your order which fails to list said packages? Do you have anything in writing? If they gave you an unitemized receipt I bet under state law that is not a contract and they are obliged to give you your money back. That's what I'd tell them, and if the bluff does not work ask an attorney to write a letter: maybe he can get you the car at MSRP with some extras for liquidated damages! Or threaten to call the State Attorney General, BB Bureau and Toyota Corporate. TC is reputed to be very good about keeping dealerships in line.

Don't take it lying down unless they give you your deposit back and you are satisfied with that. They can insist on selling cars with addons, but they can't insist you buy, particularly since they did not disclose what they were selling when you ordered (did you specify what packages you wanted)? That is not only unethical, it's illegal. I would still complain to TC Corporate, and emphasize the stress, inconvenience, ethics, illegality etc: I don't know if they might see you get a free extra if you go to another dealership, or even make this dealer crawl if you are willing to let him lick your boots. Maybe he should have to give you the demanded packages for free. Poetic justice: suggest it to Corporate - if you get a sympathetic person with a sense of humor - who knows. After all they promised you the car you ordered, can't deliver and are possibly holding a gun to your head (withholding deposit)?

I have not seen a soluion to the invisible hood issue. I have a big truck with a large winch that sticks 18" out the front I can't see. I quickly learned to make allowances. I have not seen many complaints about the Prius, so I exect people soon adapt. You could attach a wand to the front of the bumper like truckers ahve on each end of the bumper - but not elegant. Worth it if you really feel insecure; maybe temporarily just for a familiarization period. Once you or your son have the "feel", you won't need it I think.

I have the impression a lot of dealerships in the E are charging over MSRp or other tricks (in Atlanta MSRP + $3000 when I inquired). I would not pay a penny over MSRP - there are planty of places in my area where you can get an '06 at MSRP. A couple of days ago I turned down an incoming Pkg 3 in NM, silver: may still be available - might be worth the journey if you can't find a decent deal.

I also agree with Flynz4 that you should get a '06 for your money - its a couple hundred more - worth it, or a genuine DEEP discount on an '05 (not clear about MSRP on the 05 you mentiond vs price as offered).

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

C

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Until the credit is depleted.. the 06's are actually cheaper and you get more!...

If you want to see how a crawfish swims bacwards.... just tell him this is not what you agreed on, nor what you signed and you'll take your deposit and you want to leave now.....

Always leave a check for deposits... they would like a credit card or cash, but they will take a check if they have no choice......

thats mostly at the descretion of the salesman your dealing with.. he wants your commitment so he doesn't lose the deal to some other hungry hyena there!

The 06 has the HID lights too.. those are really nice! "as long as your getting package 6 or higher.

5. cgraham

cgraham Member

I thought the tax credit applies to the year the vehicle is bought in, not the year it was made?

C

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

You are correct. The credit can by applied to an '05 or '06 model, as long as it is "put in service" (i.e. purchased) after Jan 1, 2006.

7. cgraham

cgraham Member

So, dbermanmd. to my mind, you save money if you buy an '05 OR an '06! You could save a lot more if you can find a deeply discounted '05. It would have to be really deep, or I would have to be short on cash not to get the 06, though.

Preferences aside, the basic car is well equipped with Pkg 1 actually, which is what I almost bought.

Anybody know the discounts on '05s at present? Might be worth a new thread if that's what you want and you are willing to wait & travel a bit.

C

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ah..I forgot that was the case, then if you have a choce, it should only be 450 more for the 06... When you consider the higher res MFD screen all all considered... thats a bargain.
    http://priuschat.com/2006_toyota_prius.html

9. Springtime

Springtime Member

In PA the 2005's are going FAST! There are a handful left in Southeastern PA. A 2005 pkg #4 you can ignore any dealer add ons and deduct about $1000 off of the original MSRP. The 2005 Pkg #6 forget paying for dealer add ons and also deduct $1000 - $1500 off of original MSRP.

Some dealers still quote MSRP. The key is to find out who has what in stock and then find a dealer who will discount off of MSRP. The dealer who will discount will simply swap for the car with the dealer who told you no discount.

In my case dealer X had a 2005 pkg #6 for MSRP of $27890 ( it included some accessory pkgs and dealer addons) and said the price was firm. I went to my local dealer and said that if he could find me a 2005 pkg #6 for $26K he had my business otherwise I was going to check around with other dealers. It took him all of about 5 minutes to swap with dealer X to get "my" car and "my" price.

I chose to get an 05 because I could afford to get the 05 with Nav at $26K. Had their been no discount I would have only been able to afford a 2006 pkg #6 without Nav at the same price. I was able to get more car for the same money. Depreciation was not a factor in my case because I tend to keep a car for at least 10+ years.

By the end of January I doubt that anyone will have any 2005's left. On 1/2/06 the combined dealer inventory of 2005's in my local area was about 25 cars (various pkgs). As of today their WEB sites show only 7 left. If you are looking for a deal you will have to act very quickly.

Springtime

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see no reason why not as long as their is a waiting list for the 06's

11. Springtime

Springtime Member

Actually, here in PA there is no waiting list for the 06. These same dealers with the 05's have maybe a total of 40 of the 2006's sitting on their lots waiting for someone to come in and buy them! Most are pkgs #2 and #6, a few #7 and #8.

Springtime

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

No stinkin way... are you kidding?..... I need an excuse for a vacation anyways..... do they sell at msrp or any below you know of?..

Mine is supposed to be here soon however.... but I don't have it in my crosshairs yet.

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

MSRP (be careful of hidden dealer fees).
    Few, if any Reds on lots.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks.. I didn't realize you guys were from the same place.....

Thats a long drive and nasty time of year.. I better just wait I guess.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you everyone for their insights.

This morning I penned a letter to the owner of the dealership and made sure carbon copies got to the manager and the sales people. It seems as though there have been a number of customers who are put off by add on packages the owner of the dealership is insisting on.

My letter specifically noted that my down payment of $1,000.00 by check on August 4, 2005 completed a legally binding agreement which did NOT list any additional packages - specifically the appearance and environmental packages that the owner is insisting be included on every new Prius. I left it in a positive light in that that would be my second car from them in under two years and that I want to continue what is a very good relationship - that I did not want to be taken advantage of.

I spoke to my salesman who was very enthusiastic about my letter and its content. We we see. I want to keep it simple and easy.

Thanks again for all your help.

David

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would stop payment at your bank.. get that confirmed.. and then go to the dealer and state that he is not honoring your agreement and you have dismissed yourself... if he wants to make a "new" contract with you, then you want any additions he intends to surprise you with in writing.. otherwise you will shop elsewhere.
    Believe me .. they will drop back.... they are used to as normal business trying to milk you for all they can before you leave with your car... its normal practice and a dealer.... just expect it and cut them off before or as its happening.

They will only back off if they know you are wise to them.