1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer BS re maintenance at 100-120,000 miles??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by midlife2, Mar 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. midlife2

midlife2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife's 2011 has 102,000 miles on it. When I took it in recently for the airbag recall the dealer said it needed 100 and 120,000 mile (soon) service that would add up to $700. I've checked the maintenance booklet and can't find anything that would seem that costly, with the exception of replacing engine and inverter coolant. I asked the dealer for a print out of the services they would do and was told to check the manual.

This dealer is kindof a fluff artist anyway. They used to provide free oil service for life if you bought the car there but then changed to doing the interval services as well. Total invoice around $150 discounted to around $75 if you bought the car there. That's a bit of mumbo jumbo I think, so I'm looking into independent mechanics near me.

The dealer said part of the needed service has to be done my a certifed technician, so I want to be careful.

Thanks for any input and/or experience with this.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Which maintenance intervals specifically then?

100K has both coolant circuit fluid replacement. 120K has spark plug replacement. Thanks to Toyota's engineering foresight you have to tear a lot of trim off just to get at the spark plugs.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check the manual? she might not be that far off. fluids and plugs and filters etc. 120k is the first biggie.