1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer cannot identify the source of noise. What to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hans_fh, Nov 5, 2010.

1. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello guys!

My 2008 Prius with 35K makes creeking noise when driven over speed bump or dip under braking. I took the car in for the same problem On Jan and they replaced the stabilizer. But it did not solve the problem. Because my car is reaching 36K (warranty limit) so I brought the car to my local Toyota dealership again three days ago. I demonstrated the issue to a technician and dropped the car off. Today I called the dealer and they said the technician was able to duplicate the issue, but he has not identified the source of the noise yet. He said the technician will keep working on this on Saturday. But if he could not find a solution to the problem, I will have to get car back on Sat and bring the car back next Wednesday because the technician takes three days off.

Guys, I am really concerned about that. What if the dealer could not find the source eventually? Or they asked to keep the car for 10+days?
    I have to rely on my car for work. I took bus these days and it consumes a lot of time.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've documented the problem with the dealer under the 36K warranty. If the problem continues beyond the 36K, your still covered.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Creaking noise is almost always a bad ball joint but your way too young for that. Not sure where you live as you never filled it in but if its up north 99% of most noises can be eliminated with some suspension lubrication. Basic car maintenance. Please see my last post if interested.

4. hans_fh

hans_fh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys! Just heard back from the dealer. They said the noise came from "bad control arm." (what's this??). I was told they need to communicate and register with Toyota before they can start fixing the problem... Anyone heard that before?