1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer can't program 2nd smart key????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by A Former Member 2, Feb 28, 2009.

1. A Former Member 2

A Former Member 2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hey, I was under tge belief that my prius could accept up to 4 smart keys. I bought a used one with matching eic and model numbers. The dealer says they can't reprogram the used key as it was programmed for another prius and won't accept another one. On new keys can be used. Is this bs?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not bs. The dealer is telling you the truth. As an FYI, the fob is not programmed, the car is programmed to accept a new fob.

3. jtlytle

jtlytle Caution: Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought two used FOB from eBay last January for 20 dollars each and I got them programmed to work with my car at Toyota for 52 dollars each. They works great. I have three FOBs now.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your car have SKS?

5. jtlytle

jtlytle Caution: Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine is black logo. Not the silver so I guess it's the regular, not the smart key.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First, the fob is not programmed to the car. It's the other way around.

Only a new smart key can be registered to work with the SKS. A used SKS fob can be set to work as a normal fob, which will allow the car to start when it is inserted into the slot, but it cannot be used as a fully functioning SKS fob.

Tom