1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer damaged my Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kenichols29, Oct 1, 2015.

1. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took my car in to have new tires installed on Tuesday and when i left there was white residue from the lubricant they use to put the tires on the wheel. I decided to give my car a wash to day and i cleaned the residue off of the tires and the wheels and when I did it reveal gouges in the paint along the wheels. I tried contacting my dealer today and they said they will have a service advisor call me back later. What do i need to do to get them to fix this? The pictures show the two worst spots on the front and rear drivers side wheels. There are some spots on the passanger side wheels to but they arent as bad.
    2015-10-01 11.13.40.jpg 2015-10-01 11.13.52.jpg

#1 kenichols29, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A time machine would be helpful.

If I'm the store owner, I'm going to investigate to see whether of not the marks match the adapter bar on their tire machine, and make you whole for the damage, but that's me.
    THEY have the legal right to tell you that you should have inspected the wheels before you left the store and that you're SOL.
    Some places actually stipulate that they do not cover certain rims, and it's always prudent to have them stipulate that they will cover any damage incurred by the installation.

Be nice, and see what happens.

If they tell you to go and pound sand, you can do the BBB/COC dance and take them to small claims court. If you have that route available to you, don't try to Perry Mason the claim. A few pictures, the sales receipt, and about 30 seconds will state your case adequately.
    Small Claims courts have a lot of latitude, but that goes both ways and brevity is your friend here.
    You can also be the tire store's social media nightmare.....but try nice first.

If all of the above fails:
    Use a Sharpie Pen for a quick touch-up and get on with your life.

There will be other cars and other rims.

Good Luck!

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're already on your way to getting replacement wheels. They'll probably offer you hub caps first lol

4. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ill just tell them I dont want the hub caps, I still have the stock ones.

I hope it doesn't have to go to small claims. I just want the problem fixed. Who should I talk to the service manager or my service adviser. I'm planning on driving the car down there in the next hour to have them look at it since no one called me back like they said they would (they told me the service adviser was with a customer and would call me back in a few minutes). I chose them because their service department is very reputable, I drive by about 7 tire shops to get there and there is a tire shop 3 miles from my house that mounts tires for $10 ea. vs $25 at the dealer. I've never had my local shop damage a wheel before (but they did damage the tpms on our tundra).

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The service manager is who you want to talk with, not your adviser. I'm thinking they touch it up with black paint.

If things don't work out, I have a set for sale lol

kenichols29 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It looks like the damage is relatively shallow, and all on the outer edge which is relatively easy to touch up. In your shoes, I'd ask if they're will to get a body shop to professionally fix them. They can do work like that virtually undetectable. The dealership likely has a body shop that handles a lot of fix up work for them, so it'd be no major expense for them.

If you do end up touching them up yourself, get some sorta gloss black touch up lacquer, something like this:

image.jpeg

kenichols29 likes this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The service adviser isn't the Complaint Dept. and isn't in a position to help you. Talk to the boss. As mentioned, be polite, say you need help with a little problem, repeat what you posted above and state your case. If the Service Manager can't/won't help then look around for the General Manager. Taking a belligerent or accusatory stance is only going to get you out the door.

kenichols29 likes this.
  8. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I talked to the service manager and he looked at the wheels. We then found the advisor (i was told on the phone he wasn't there). They told me they are going to send them off to wheels of America to be repaired and that they were backed up. he then asked me to drop it off tuesday and they will get me a loaner while my wheels are being repaired. Overall it seems like they were very helpful and want to make it right.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) They have always taken great care of me at Pat's. Glad it worked out for ya.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So good to read a story that appears to have a happy ending.

11. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive had alot of luck with them too. Thats why they are the only dealer I trust. Their customer service is top notch.

I hope it all works out. So far it looks like they want to take care of me. Ive read about plenty of people at their dealers having trouble with their service department.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Richardson is the place to buy though. Pat's lost their triple crown, but excellent service department.

#12 frodoz737, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    kenichols29 likes this.
  13. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ya they are. My dads bought a tundra and prius there (mine came from plano). They were real easy to deal with. We tried buying from Pat's and the sales person would not budge on $26k for 2 prius 2's.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I picked Pat's to buy the 2010, my sales person was the reason. Unfortunately sales positions tend to be transient. Bought last 3 Toys at Richardson.

kenichols29 likes this.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wouldn't want the tires unmounted then remounted for the fix, I'd request new tires, unless they paint as is.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what's wrong with dismounting the tires?

17. kenichols29

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats what im wondering. People dismount and remount tires all the time successfully.

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If they damaged your wheels mounting tires, they also I assume stretched the bead, a lot, and now twice more.