1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer fit parking sensors vs factory fit

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by raspy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realise there would be a difference. I got my car from a dealer 500 miles from me, and when placing the order over the phone, they had an option of adding genuine Toyota parking sensors front and rear before the car was delivered to me. (My model is the Business Edition here in the UK, which doesn't have them as standard like the top of the range model, Excel)

So I paid the extra to get them fitted, and whilst they work fine, I didn't realise that dealer fit sensors behave differently from factor fitted sensors. For example, the user manual states that parking sensors settings can be changed from the steering wheel when going through the options menu.

The minor issue is that even when parking in a tight space, and I've parked relatively close to the car in front, the beeping won't switch off even though the car is stationary. There is a switch near the heated seat switch, so I can switch them off each time, but has anyone managed to get the dealer fit sensors to integrate with the car's settings, or is that not possible? I'm sure I saw in another post that a Carista user in the US managed to find a setting that allows you to switch the sensor beep off if the car has been stationary for more than 3 seconds.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually the rear sensors are powered from your reverse lights, so the sensor is deactivated as soon as you shift out of reverse. Doing something for the front sensors is more difficult.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The rear sensors should be on when you are in reverse. Vice versa, the fronts should be on when you are in drive. If you are stationary with your foot on the brakes in gear then it should continue to beep. If the beep continues when you are in Park then take it back to the dealer. They forgot to hook up the wires.

4. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok thanks!

5. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alas, not possible. The response from Toyota GB was, These are the port of entry sensors and only turn off when the vehicle speeds exceeds 12mph, there is no turn off mechanism for being in park.

Took the car to my local dealer who verified that the on/off switch for the front sensors resets itself back to on each time you switch the car on. The design of these Toyota sensors is so flawed in daily use, that I consider them a waste of 500 pounds (The brochure offered front and rear sensors as a package on the new car, not individually.)

I may just tape over the on/off switch to keep it held in the off position. In hindsight, I wish I had been able to get the higher spec models here which come with the factory fitted sensors and are designed much better.

mmmodem likes this.
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yikes. Honestly, I've never driven a Toyota with parking sensors but I've sat in a Ford Escape and rented a Chevy Suburban. Both sensors behaved the way I described. I wonder what Toyota's reasoning is for this design. At least you have an off switch. On the Ford Escape with a hitch attached blocks the sensor. Every time my BIL puts the bike rack on, the sensor bleets incessantly while backing up because the rack is inches in front of the sensor. No way to turn off. It's pretty difficult to back up when you can't see behind you and can't hear instructions from someone outside directing you.

raspy likes this.