1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer forgot to put in new oil filter after removing old one

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mi2k, Jun 21, 2013.

1. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I took my Prius v to my own trusted mechanic for 30K service, and he discovered that the Toyota dealer had not put in a new oil filter after removing the old one at 25K service!

What impact would it have had on the engine? What should be my best course of action?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wouldn't all the oil leak out? or does the v have a replaceable filter in metal cannister?

3. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My mechanic told me that the cup that holds the filter was empty. I am not knowledgeable about this, but does this suggest anything to you?

I think if the oil was to leak out, I would see warning lights or other problems. I did not see any warning lights.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you haven't had any filtration for however many miles it has been. not a good thing, but i doubt it's a huge issue and wouldn't have any short term effect on the car's performance. these engines run so clean, it just isn't that big of a deal.

i would notify the dealer who made the mistake and bring a letter from your mechanic or have him speak with the service manager, and i would file a complaint with toyota.

5. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My impression has been that the oil filter would collect metal shavings and other impurities from inside the cylinders, and therefore if it is missing, the cylinder walls would be scratched. Is this not correct or not significant enough?

Thanks.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, but i don't believe significant enough. others may have differing opinions, but oil quality is all about long term engine life. there may be some damage in 5000 miles but nothing you will notice. i do think toyota shoud offer you an extended engine warranty though, if you wind up keeping the car long enough and have any trouble. what is your mechanic's opinion? he would know better than me.

7. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My mechanic's opinion about impact on the engine is identical to yours.

Like you suggested, I am going to complain to the dealer and Toyota. The extended warranty suggestion is a good one. Thanks again.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is precisely ascertaining any level of damage or connecting the incompetency of leaving the filter out and 5,000 miles of operation, might have on the entire life span and efficiency of your engine.

I'd get a written, signed and dated statement as to the discovery by your mechanic. I'd get it as documented as possible with Toyota. Yes, I'd rationally and calmly complain quite a bit. I'd want an extended warranty on that engine.

Because, quite frankly nobody can really know. There's no real way of knowing what contaminates might of cycled into your engine and what damage they may of done to the entire engine. Short of breaking it all down and looking, you're left not really knowing what level of damage may of occurred. I'm not big on "Oil Analysis" in most cases I think it is analysis overkill, but in your case having it done on with your next oil change might be valid, at least it would be interesting.

Those are the things I would do at the minimum.

I don't know how much this is going to personally bother you? One of the great advantages that I think owning a new vehicle from the very start affords, is knowing and being responsible for it's entire maintenance history. I take the very best care of my automobile that I can, and enjoy that I know exactly what has happened to it, and what I've done to maintain it. Through no fault of your own, you ran your vehicle unknowingly for 5000 miles with no Oil Filter. That would actually bother me quite a bit. How a dealership or any qualified mechanic could fill a vehicle with Oil and not notice a discrepancy in the amount being added, or simply not notice or double check that the filter is in place? Is beyond my understanding for incompetency.

Depending on what Toyota is willing to do in this case? I think if it was me (personally) I'd think about trading the vehicle in on a much earlier time frame schedule than I normally would consider.

You're in a bad spot, because you are forced to document this to protect your interest, but my further concern would be if this event is entered into your vehicles formal maintenance history, it could become an issue in the future if you go to sell it either private party or trade in. I know if I was looking at buying your vehicle from you, and I looked up your vehicles maintenance history and found notation of this happening it would raise serious concern to me as the potential "next" owner. So you almost have a potential "diminished value" issue going on.

Of course I'm also guessing that a lot of people would tell me that I'm over reacting, and that the engine will probably be fine, efficient and viable for 150,000+ miles...which may be the reality. But due to the incompetency of your Toyota Service Department dealership, something as a new vehicle owner I would almost take as a given, is now a questionable factor. That would bother me quite a bit.

Best of Luck...and I hope the vehicle operates fine and that Toyota does the best by you.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another concern is if you had taken it back to the same Toyota dealer for the oil change, would they have told you about it, or just not tell you hoping all would be okay? I'm sure if you went to a different dealer, they would have mentioned it to you and likely documented it since the records will show another dealer performed the last service and would be liable.

10. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all the replies, and especially to Electric Me. I have complained to Toyota, and I have been talking to the dealership along the lines Electric Me suggested. The dealership has generally been unresponsive so far.

The 25K service was the last free maintenance offered by Toyota. Do you think Toyota has any liability here?

Considering the dealership conduct and its response so far, it is fair for me to out its name. It is Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, MD.

11. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    One needs to be able to show damages, as in costs, in order to establish liability. Its arguable whether operating the engine without a filter has caused any damage to the engine, so keep your expectations low. That doesn't mean you can't make a big stink with Toyota, and an extended warranty isn't an unreasonable demand. Its also true that the engine and power train already have an extended warranty, 60/60. Good luck with this.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes, demand a free extended warrenty!

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting thread. If the mechanic had any brains, he would have taken a picture to document it and saved used oil for UOA to document the damage. Now it's probably too late.

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Why would they or you believe an independent mechanic? You showed your loyalty to the Toyota dealer by using the indie and so they may well be suspicious of his motives. You didn't see the oil filter case removed and thus if there was or wasn't a filter there. How many times over the years has one mechanic, electrician, plumber, etc badmouthed the guy who did the previous work? Happened to me Wednesday.

It is why I take my car to someone and watch while the work gets done. Yes I use Jiffylube equivalents. I also bring parts and even my own oil for some exotic cars.

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, this could easily be a lie to steer you away from dealer. Mechanics are often crooks.