1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer had my tires set to 28 PSI - My 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Nov 19, 2004.

?
  1. 35/33 Toyota's Model

50.0%
  2. 36/34

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 37/35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 38/36

50.0%
  5. 39/37

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 41/39

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 42/40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 42/41

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 41/40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I don't check the tire pressure, I trust the dealer to do that

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macreative

macreative New Member

I noticed that the dealership set the tire pressure to 29 FR 28 RR
    and I haven't changed the pressure since I bought it because it's only two months old now. So when I went out to check the pressure today, I was flabbergasted that the Dealership (Sierra Toyota Lancaster) set the pressure to 29/28 from when it was new. Maybe they did that at the dock? But they do the Post Delivery Inspection at the dealer, so.....

Now I adjusted it to 39/37
    Most of you say 42/40 or 41/40 - I can't remember
    I didn't want to go that high after getting acclimated to 29/28

So now with 39/37
    I've noticed that:
    1) Prius Steers really easy
    2) Ride is louder and a bit bumpier
    3) It takes longer to come to a stop if I just let off the gas
    4) Seems a bit floaty on the freeway, more so than before
    5) Hasn't been long enough to see if mileage goes up, I assume it will.

Do you believe 39/37 is safe for the Prius? I know it seems to be within the Design Specs. But Toyota says 35/33
    2 lbs less in the rear tires. So I copied their fourmula.

Some of you put only 1 lb less in the rear, why? Does it matter I wonder?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(macreative\";p=\"51662)</div>
    Today's tire air pressure reading is a poor indication how the dealer set it two months ago.

There are two reasons.

First, you are always going to lose some air as time goes by. Some air molecules always manage to seep through the rubber and the seal between the tire and the wheel.

Second, air pressure rises with temperature. It is quite hot in Lancaster, CA, in the Mojave desert, in mid September. It is now at least twenty to thirty degrees cooler than that in the Los Angeles basin. As the temperature cools off, the air molecules are less active and get closer to each other so the pressure in the tires drops.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The poll is missing a common pressure... 44/42

4. macreative

macreative New Member

That's so true. I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing it out. BTW - I didn't mean to slam Sierra Toyota in any way, they were great to deal with and I would certainly buy one from them again. :)<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"51673)</div>
    Today's tire air pressure reading is a poor indication how the dealer set it two months ago.

There are two reasons.

First, you are always going to lose some air as time goes by. Some air molecules always manage to seep through the rubber and the seal between the tire and the wheel.

Second, air pressure rises with temperature. It is quite hot in Lancaster, CA, in the Mojave desert, in mid September. It is now at least twenty to thirty degrees cooler than that in the Los Angeles basin. As the temperature cools off, the air molecules are less active and get closer to each other so the pressure in the tires drops.
    [/b][/quote]

5. macreative

macreative New Member

Sorry John. I forgot to. I tried to edit the post to add that value but I could not. It wouldn't let me. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"51674)</div>

6. Batavier

Batavier Member

I check the pressure of the tyres on my Prius every week (when I fuel up :) ). Usually keep it in the low 30s, but my tyres are different than the US version. I think I'll try to put a bit more pressure in them to see if I notice any difference.

7. macreative

macreative New Member

Okay, after driving over a hundred miles on the new tire pressure {39/37} I have noticed that the car steers really easy BUT it is hard and bumpy - now my Prius feels like a rock.

Haven't you others noticed that the higher tire pressure make the ride considerably harder? Jiltier? I feel every pot hole now.

Maybe 37/35 is a better compromise for me.... We'll have to see.

8. Heikki

Heikki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires in Europe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Batavier\";p=\"51754)</div>
    I use that 42/40 pressure. It works fine even in European tires. My tires are Michelin Pilot Primacy 195/55 R16.
    I use same pressure in Bridgestone Blizzak WS 50 winter tires.

-Heikki

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i use 38/36 which i guess is half way. i cant compare the ride as being stiff or rough since i came to the Prius from a ford pu with HD susp.

but right now, i am tracking gas mileage in my sisters car so i am putting gas in it. when filling her tank the other day (she has a medium ford station wagon type thing) besides the leg workouts from stopping the car (power brakes???) i noticed the ride as being a lot like a boat. in my mind, not desirable to me at all. body sway and rock was scary to me. i couldnt imagine what would have happened if i would have had to make an emergency manuver in that beast.

but is the car all that bad really?? probably not. i am quite frankly amazed at the vast differences in the way the Prius drives as compared to normal cars.

i realized that it took a few days to get used to the steering and brakes of my Prius, but i had not realized how many other things i have unconsciously gotten used to.

this experience had led me to believe that if my next car is not a Prius that i will have to learn to drive all over again.

10. tntna

tntna New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"52042)</div>
    My first car was a Fiat Spyder. Not power brakes or steering. I went from that to a Maxda 626 with power everything. A month or so later, I had to move the Fiat and was surprised at how hard it was to steer and brake! Still miss my Spyder though.

11. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Tom and Ray (Click & Clack) of Car Talk fame have been my most trusted reference over the years. They have repeatedly stated that one shouldn't increase tire pressure more than 3 PSI over the car manufacturers recommended pressures. It's a safety issue.

Thus I choose 38 and 36 for my tire pressures - best mileage while still staying safe.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Within a week of getting my Prius, I had Michelin Harmony all-season tires put on. The dealer set the tires at 30psi F/R.

Over the past 6 weeks I have played with different settings up to the tire's 44psi max, with no F/R delta, and in different 3psi delta's F/R. The Dunlop Graspic DS2 should be in next week then I can start the science experiment all over again. :p

First of all, I noticed the ride quality really deteriorated especially at the tire max of 44psi. Pavement breaks and expansion joints became very harsh. On the Trans Canada, minor road imperfections really became apparent.

Second of all, I was worried about the lower psi causing dangerous heating of the tire. I took the car on a couple of two hour trips at 110km/h and temps still around 10-15 C. Even with the tires at 30psi F/R, the sidewalls stayed cool. Of course, if the temps had been 35-40 C, I might have had much different results.

Third, I was surprised at the difference in fuel economy. That is, there was VERY little difference according to the MFD and my infrequent refueling.

Eg: on a given stretch of Trans Canada at 110 km/h, the car would use 4.7 litres per 100km with tires at 44psi F/R. With the tires at 30 psi F/R, the car would use 4.8 to 4.9 litres per 100km.

So that works out to 60.1 MPG, Imperial gallon (4.54 litres per Imperial gallon), with the tires at 44psi. At 30 psi, 58.9 down to 57.7 MPG.

BTW the conversion factor is: MPG Imperial = 282.48 / litres per 100km. Sorry, don't know offhand the conversion to U.S. gallon (3.78 litres per U.S. gallon though).

So at the worst I've sacrificed 2.4 MPG on the highway. There was no difference in city speeds up to 60 km/h.

Fourth, handling issues. Honestly, the Michelin Harmony changed the car's handling - in a positive manner - much more than the tire pressure itself did. That and the fact my camber was WAY off, according to the dealer.

Although the car felt a bit nervous at 110 km/h with the tires at 44psi, at 30psi the car felt solid and in control. Given the much improved ride at 30psi, I probably won't add in the future. Though if I was going on a long trip at highway speeds in very hot summer, then I might add up to the factory recommendation 33psi.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"52781)</div>
    Quite true. And you may actually find yourself choosing to pump the PSI during the winter because of that. It increases your awareness of the snow & ice, allowing for a more accurate feel of the driving conditions.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I set mine to 44/42 very early on in my ownership of my '03. I've gotten 32k out of the tires, which are known to be an issue over premature wear on the classics. I will have to put new rubber on the car before I head up to Colorado next month. They're getting just too borderline to be trustworthy in the event that I get into bad weather on the drive. As for driveability, I've had no issues with the car whatsoever regarding poor weather handling, or noise beyond the damage done to one tire driving the car to the dealer for an alignment after running over a none too small dead animal. That tire has always been noisy, and would continue to be so, regardless of the tire pressure.

15. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
  16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The winter tires I'm ordering apparently have a maximum cold inflation of 51psi. You can bet I would never run them at that either.

I would start with the factory recommended pressure and see what results you get. Then add air if you want to.

Don't expect the same dry handling from dedicated winter tires. Tires with soft squishy treads feel sloppy and squirmy on hard pavement, especially above freezing.

That said, I've driven on Bridgestone Blizzak WS50's and Dunlop Graspic DS1's, and swear by them. I wouldn't trade the winter snow and ice traction for anything.

17. macreative

macreative New Member

After using the 38-FRONT / 36-REAR Setting for several hundred miles, I have decided to go with the lower setting of 37/35. I am VERY HAPPY with 37/35. The ride is of good quality, I don’t hear rattles and feel like the Prius has hit a rock on every pothole. Potholes are VERY plentiful in California too!

I was afraid that the harder 38/36 PSI would be harmful to the Prius. A friend of mine who works at Toyota (Specifically very informative about the Prius) told me to go no more than two PSI above the Toyota label. Plastics and other items in the Prius will remain far more stable at the value 35-38 Front 33-36 Rear than at above 38 PSI. The car is NOT designed for above 39 PSI. He was very stubborn about that fact. When I told him that most of you go higher, 42-44, he knew that people do that. He said, “We test our vehicles for a certain tire pressure and not for too much variation from our set PSI rating.†He made it sound like 42 was A LOT further from what they would suggest.

There are MANY reasons that Toyota decided on 35/33, he said that extensive research went into all “areas of the grid†on the Prius and that was the set valued that they found necessary, the one on the label of your car, no more no less than 35/33. He said, 37/35 was more than they would recommend but not in the danger zone.

I think the 44/42 combination is dangerous, but after speaking with Michelin and my friend at Toyota, I can’t imagine higher than 39 PSI. I think John1701 is smart and certainly well versed in Prius; however, he is not Toyota, and to follow the 44/42 recommendation of one owner simply because one believes that he is “All knowing, all powerful…blah blah blah…†is maybe not the wisest choice. My friend Paul, the Toyota guy, said that it is far riskier 44/42 for traction and handling than 39/37 or 38/36. He said that the VSC computer, is expecting “inputs†from tires with Pressures in the 32 PSI to 38 PSI range.

I personally choose to follow closely to Toyota since I know my friend, that I have known since childhood practically, advised of 2 PSI +/- Toyota Settings. I am just sharing my experience and the conversation that I had, so please don’t tear my findings apart.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there are pluses and minuses to all settings really and the "best" setting really depends on what you are looking for.

the lower the pressure, the smoother and softer the ride.
    that is a given.

the higher the pressure, the better your mpg will be.

as far as 44/42 being dangerous, nope... not even close. your tires can easily hold 60 psi with no danger.

pressures are set with the max amount of safety and comfort in mind. keep in mind what tires go through on a regular basis all the time anyway. just tooling down the freeway and hitting small changes in elevation can put a strain on the tire that is 10 times greater than the strain exerted by air pressure.

so yes 44 psi will give you handling issues AS COMPARED TO lower tire pressures... but is it enough to cause noticable differences in handling. under certain circumstances, yes... that has been shown with most types of radials. but for most every day driving needs, you will never notice the difference.

personally, (and i base this on my brother who was a tire expert having worked in the industry for most of his life) in the winter if rain and snow will be prevalent, lower pressures will make a difference. but depending on the tire, too low a pressure will introduce body sway which will make things worse and dramatically increase wear.

keep in mind that tires deflate over time and he recommends that tires be 2-5 psi higher than normal

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 44/42 setting came from the classics. It was found that the tires would wear MUCH better than the factory settings, without any notable detriment to the ride quality of the car. The tires on the classics ended up being underrated for the car.

20. jchu

jchu New Member

In other words when it came to the tires on the classic, Toyota's testing 'in all areas of the grid' was flawed. Not sure what the Toyota guy meant about the tire pressure effect on the plastics (maybe rattling??). But ride vesus tire pressure is going to be a function of the specfic brand/model of tire, and less so the car itself.