1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Install EBH?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by toletiquesbysam, Oct 18, 2007.

1. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just received our EBH this week, DH wants to take it to the Dealer to install. I've shown him the thread on how to do it and he even had his brother review it to see if he could do it and they both think they can't do it! Soooooo he wants to take it to the dealer and I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken theirs to the dealer to be installed, and if you did how much did they charge? I thought about going to Chicago this weekend for Waynes install but can't fit it in between everything else we have going on!
    Personally I think I could do it, but there is no way my DH will let me try!! :D

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems I remember someone had their dealer do it, but the cost will be pretty high...I bet they charge a minimum of 1-hour...~$80. And maybe more.

There is not really any risk to trying the install yourself. The hardest parts are 1) Finding the hole that the core goes in.
    2) getting the orange plug properly aligned and firmly pressed into the core.

You can do some 'dry runs'. Put the car on ramps, chock the wheels, take the core without lubing it up and find the proper hole. Slide it in and make sure you see how the lock should line up to snap into place.

Once you're comfortable that you know where it goes and how to snap it in take a look at how the plug attaches so you'll have a decent idea of what direction the plug will need to face to properly align.

Drop the cord down as in the instructions you have. Crawl back under with the lubed core, put it in as you practiced. Grab the orange plug and line it up and get it on as firmly as you can...that's the hardest part of the project IMO.

Then you just secure the cord wherever you want it and you're done.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where in Nebraska?

Wayne

4. milhouse

milhouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toletiquesbysam @ Oct 18 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]527313[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you get yours? I'm still trying to locate one!

Thanks

5. toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milhouse @ Oct 23 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]529377[/snapback]</div>
    We're live outside of Omaha. I contacted Burnsville Toyota after reading a post here, they said it was on backorder but I received it within a few weeks! Total was about $60.

You can call Burnsville Toyota at 1-800-448-5912. They will ask you what model of Prius you have because the newer ones are a different part number.

6. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toletiquesbysam @ Oct 24 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]529740[/snapback]</div>
    That's a days drive, you want an install. Haven't been to the zoo there yet either.

Wayne

7. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milhouse @ Oct 23 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]529377[/snapback]</div>
    I got mine from MetroTPN.com, saw a link in another thread when it was noted that the PriusChat shop wasn't carrying them anymore. Metro had been sold out for a while, but I checked at some point last week and they were taking orders again. Mine came yesterday from them, going to try to install it this weekend.

8. toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 24 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]529754[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne-
    I certainly don't want you to make a days drive on my behalf, I think you have done plenty for the Prius Community by your previous trip and I know it was much appreciated by everyone whom you helped!
    Thank you for the offer and if you had others to do in Des Moines or somewhere close I would be more than happy to make the trip to meet you but I would feel terrible if you came all the way to Omaha just for me! Plus my DH might question it as well! ;)
    :D
    PS-Omaha Zoo is the best, you and the family would love it!

9. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've traveled further for a lot goofier reasons. Besides it makes a great family weekend. Just give the word.

Wayne

10. milhouse

milhouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 25 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]530196[/snapback]</div>
    Ordered mine from Burnsville yesterday! And I'm only in Southern Indiana. ;)

11. toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Oct 25 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]530196[/snapback]</div>

Wayne-
    I talked to my DH, and he said if you are willing to come and help us then let him come!
    I'll even pay for you all to get into the zoo, it's the least we could do. If you can't make it or the weather doesn't cooperate then I'll get it installed at the dealer. We only have 1560 miles on the car but DH wants to get the oil changed at 3000 miles and have them do the EBH at that time so that was our plan.
    You can let me know if your family is up for a trip otherwise I'll just get it done at the dealer, either way it's getting in!
    Thanks Again for offering to help us!
    Shelley

12. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Oct 24 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]529770[/snapback]</div>
    I visited Metro Toyota's website (www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com) yesterday at 2:00 pm EDT and ordered an EBH and it arrived today via UPS Ground! Of course, I am in a neighboring state.

13. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took about a week for mine. And, back on topic, I had the Toyota Dealer here in Gilbert, AZ (Big Two Toyota) install my EBH this morning, I already had it in for it's minor service appointment and asked what it would take for them to slap it in while they had it up on the lift. $35, so I went ahead and had them do it. I'm sure I could have done it myself, but for $35 I'll take my time and try to catch up on other things that my wife thinks take higher priority than crawling under a car :)

14. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Oct 26 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]530866[/snapback]</div>
    $35 certainly sounds reasonable for the install. If I were closer to a dealer I would ask their price...unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) I don't expect to visit the dealer again before January. So, I guess I will try installing the EBH with the aid of the instructions found here on Priuschat.

15. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aviator @ Oct 26 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]530860[/snapback]</div>
    BTW, I ordered one on 11/1/07, and just learned they are out again. But they expect more in 2 weeks.