1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer installed Ecopia EP100 (summer) tire on our Prius driven in NY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by txl146, Nov 5, 2011.

1. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife had her flat tire replaced (driver front) by the Toyota dealer in GA during her vacation with in-laws, and I didn't really think of much until I got a chance to inspect the tire today.

Found out that dealer had installed summer tire (EP100) on our Prius, which came with EP20 (all season) from the factory!

Glad I found this before it was too late as driving with mismatching tires (Summer / all season) could be dangerous in NY weather where we get a lot of snow...

I am going to contact the dealer on Monday, asking for a full refund...

:mad:

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I think the traction characteristics of all season and summer tires are quite different and they shouldn't be mixed. Good luck on getting a refund. If the dealer doesn't cooperate try Toyota.

I had a set of summer tires on another car (not a Prius) and they are very good in the summer, wet or dry. But in cold weather they were not as good and on ice or snow they were pretty slippery.

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    they replaced just one tire??? you should call them back and complain. It they blow you off call Toyota HQ.

BTW it is not ideal but it is o'k to have different tires as long as they are in pairs front/rear.

At least for now change mismatched front tires to back; this will lessen impact good luck

4. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer had acknowledged the mishap and said will reimburse the cost.

Problem is no one seems to have EP20 in stock and they won't be available until Jan or Feb of next year... glad I found a dealer 50 miles away that have 6 EP20 tires in their inventory.

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles do you have on tires? having new/old tire in pair is not ideal either. When they replace make sure they also rotate and put new tire in the back.

Also Bridgestone is known to make multiple versions of the same tire for OEM and aftermarket. They may differ in threadwear and cord material, rayon vs nylon Have no idea if this is the case with EP20.

Also save EP100 if you have space. It could be used when you get another flat and the other tire is too worn to match new (you'd be buying one tire and installing 2) or it is time to put new tires good luck

6. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tires have about 8k miles; tirerack said as long as tires don't have tread difference of >3/32" everything should be OK.

Tread difference is about 1.5/32" using a tread gauge I have. I would have no use for EP100 in the winter as it's dedicated summer tire.

I am just surprised that EP20 are so hard to find. Most places told me they are on back order including tirerack and most local dealers...