1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer - Installed Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by miniracer, Feb 29, 2004.

1. miniracer

miniracer New Member

I have ordered a silver (BI) with the CF option (floor/cargo mat set). When I "get the call" I expect only what I ordered. Unfortunately, due to the very long wait for this car the dealers have the customer at a psychological disadvantage and are apt to "pack" the car a bit - knowing that if you refuse it they can always sell it to someone else in line and still up their profit a bit. :guns:

Can anyone tell me what options are installed at the dealer? Floor mats, cargo mats, first aid kits, and the like, are obvious. What I'm wary of is stuff like undercoating, fabric and paint sealers, window etching, or maybe a 6-CD changer whacked into the dash - and them saying "Hey, that's the way it came". Either pay for it or someone else will.

Or, given the rate these cars are flying out of dealers to long - waiting customers, do the dealers even have the time or inclination to pack up a car - especially if they are turning over a lot of cars?

I realise my condition as a creeping "Prius - wait paranoia". It's now time for my medication (2 Advil and more Tension Tamer). :mrgreen:

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dealers are not turning over lots of Prius. That's the problem: they can't get them. My dealer expects one per month for the near future. But an honest dealer won't do the stuff you mentioned, and a dealer that does will probably treat you badly after the sale as well.

My dealer gave me a soft-sell on all the add-ons, took my "No" for an answer, and sold me the car as i wanted it. Apparently the windows were already etched, and I would only have paid to have the etching number "registered," which I did not. (Boy, oh, boy! If my car were stolen they could have recovered the windows! Useless!)

3. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

My experience was like Daniels': My dealer had stuffed the car with the mats, first aid kit, and cargo net. I feel lucky they did not load it with stuff that could not be removed, like pinstriping, undercoat, toyoguard...

Anyway, they would have taken the stuff off, but I elected to keep the mats in return for them stripping the car of all emblems, logos, etcetera...

Then again, my dealer (Northampton Toyota in MA) seems semi-honorable.

Peace :)

4. cybele

cybele New Member

You should probably have a talk with your dealer and let them know that you don't want/won't accept those add ons. Some cannot be removed once put on (window etching, racing stripes, undercoating) so it puts you in a bad bargaining position.

There are a few people on the lists that have walked away from cars they ordered because the dealer put on unacceptable options. It's always good to know what kind of dealer it is up front.

That said, even I got nervous towards the end of the wait ... and I was getting my car from Dianne at Carson, about whom I had never heard a bad report! So if it makes the waiting a little calmer, give them a call. (You want to call them anyway, right?)

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Do Cargo Mats need to be "installed"?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miniracer\";p=\"5526)</div>
    OK, what I'm about to ask qualifies as the dumbest question of the month, but I'm fearless:

When you buy the cargo mats (or the new all-weather mats), do they require any "installation" by the dealer? I.e., do they have to install hooks or connectors onto the car floor, which the mats will be hooked to?

TIA,

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Re: Do Cargo Mats need to be "installed"?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"41458)</div>
    Don't know about the allweather, but on the others, no, except for the driver's front mat. There are a couple of little plastic dealies that insert into 2 holes in the carpeting, then the holes in the mat go over their hooks to keep the mat from sliding up under the gas/brake pedals. Takes 5 seconds to do it.

rob

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wanted the floor mats so finding out the car came with the Z1 pkg that included the first aid kit and cargo net along with the mats wasn't too big a deal. If I had not wanted the mats, I would have asked to take the kit off. Don't know what he would have done as I didn't ask. I've heard the net is somewhat useful. It also came with the bumper applique. Various reports on effectiveness but I was going to get something anyway so I'll see how long this lasts knowing you need to be a bit gentle with it.