1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer installed sunroof 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by First Prius, Nov 15, 2009.

1. First Prius

First Prius New Member

Model:
    II
    I just today put a deposit on a 2010 Prius, my first Prius! I am going with the basic model, #2, with no options. But my daughter convinced me to have the dealer install a sunroof - another $1200. Now I am having second thoughts, having read about some problems with aftermarket sunroofs leaking. My husband seems to think that the structural integrity of the roof might be compromised with an aftermarket sunroof. I would like to get the opinions of more experienced Prius owners, especially 2010 owners.

Of course I have no idea what type of sunroof it is but they (the salesmen) didn't seem to think it was any big deal, said they do them all the time. Thoughts and opinions? Many thanks

2. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius and I had a sunroof installed after I bought the car new in February 2008. It is a Webasto sunroof and was installed by a company who does nothing but install special equipment for car dealers in the Phoenix area. The Toyota dealer recommended them. I have never had a problem with the sunroof leaking. Granted, it doesn't rain much here in Arizona and I park in a garage, but I have had the car washed many times. I paid $1195 plus tax. I absolutely love it. I use it mostly during the Fall, Winter, and Spring. It's so nice to be able to open it and get some fresh air. If your Toyota dealer recommends a professional installer, then that would tell me that the 2010 roof is just as strong as the 2008. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd see what kind of warranty the company (or dealer) offers on the sunroof.

1 person likes this.
  4. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aftermarket sunroofs usually will reduce the resale value of a vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  5. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the model III with sunroof. I've had the car for 18 months and the sunroof is great. BUT 2 weeks ago I drove up into the Sierra Nevadas where there was a lot of snow. I parked the car in the garage of the house where we stayed and whatever snow was on the roof of the car melted and leaked through the sunroof onto the two front seats. To answer the obvious question, no the sunroof was not open a crack. This is the second time I took the car up into the snowy mountains, but it was the first time that whatever snow that had accumulated on the roof of the car just sat and melted. The car has sat in the rain many many times and has never leaked, so this must be specific to colder temps and snow....

6. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a Webasto sunroof installed in my 2010 type V in October 2009 by an authorized Webasto installer. The cost was $1300 for the model with auto-close (sunroof closes after 15 seconds when the motor is turned off). Although we have had a brutal winter here with plenty of snow, freezing rain, rain and wind, there have not been any leaks. The sunroof looks factory installed. The only (minor) problem is that the overhead shift illuminating light now shines slightly off center of the shifter. I do not believe that the integrity of the roof has been compromised - after all the Prius is available with a sunroof. The only noticeable rattle comes from the glove box, which is a typical Prius defect.

7. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it arizona sun tops?

8. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, the installer was Arizona Sun Tops on University in Phoenix. They also installed a HomeLink rear-view mirror. I am still very happy with both products.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you do a Google search for "aftermarket sunroof yes or no" you will find a lot of people who have had good luck and a lot of horror stories. So It is a gamble. Personally I would prefer not to take that gamble with my new car. Once your roof has a big hole cut in it you can't go back.

10. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds great! Any pics of the installed roof. Any idea of the model of the Webasto installed in the package V?

11. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For what it's worth--I had a Webasto installed on a previously owned Gen I. It had I think 2 presets, looked OE inside and out, and never a problem in 4 years. Only a minor rattle in the headliner developed after a couple of years.

12. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is is a model 5300. Here are some pictures of the sunroof and other mods: PriusChat Forums - liskipper's Album: 2010 Type V Mods

Here is the Warranty info:
    SolAire 4300C and 5300C Inbuilt Sunroofs offer a lifetime parts warranty to the original owner and a 3-year/36,000-mile labor warranty to the original owner.

And here is the sunroof: 4300/5300 Power Inbuilt Sunroofs

1 person likes this.
  13. 2011v

2011v Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks! Love your mods, very tastefully done. Like the idea of the switch going in the extra accessory slot. May have been nice to try and fit the rocker switch to the existing dummy covers. Im sure would take a bit of fab work but the end result im sure would be woth the effort. Your V rocks!

14. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had a Webasto sunroof in my Civic Hybrid the whole time I owned it. It never leaked. I had it in WA during a snowstorm, I had tons of rain, sleet, you name it. It never leaked. you have to remember that with the sunroof it is not sealing against the roof, it is sealing against the whole sunroof system which has drain holes that run to the bottom of the car and out. I had the guy show me a car they were working on so I could see the whole unit. Pretty neat stuff.
    The factory sunroof for the Prius is a larger unit, and the wind deflector raiser higher which reduces the noise and "pulsing" feel if you have the webasto open all the way at speed.
    Still, a great unit for waaaay less than the toyota sunroof.

15. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The best quote I could get on a 2010 Prius III with NAv was $25200. I was able to get a Prius III with Nav & Solar Sunroof for $26200. That made the Solar Sunroof only a net difference of $1k. :D

16. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife has a RAV4 with the OEM sunroof. One day she crashed her onto a curb and broke not only her rims and tires, the roof has actually bended a little with 2 diagonal dents spread from the sunroof corners to the top of both A-pillars. Maybe it is so-called the "integrity" of the car?

17. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are right about the "pulsing", but I have noticed that even on the sunroof that comes from the factory for some cars. The roof opening needs to be adjusted, and sometimes playing with opening side windows helps to eliminate it.

18. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does all toyota dealer install sunroof too?

19. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd suggest getting the brand & model number of the roof (so you can do a Google search on it), and ask for 3 references of customers they've installed it for. If they provide them, call and see what their experience has been; if they won't provide references, I wouldn't do it.

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I doubt they install it themselves--more likely they outsource it.