1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer just did a transaxle fluid change and used T-IV not WS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by electrostaticdog, Jan 9, 2010.

1. electrostaticdog

electrostaticdog New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just did the first major service (dealer calls it a 30k service) on my O6 at 98k miles. As I was looking over the receipt and the list of parts used I noticed that they used T-IV instead of WS. When I told them about it, my service advisor claimed that T-IV is the correct fluid for the Prius. I have a screenshot of the repair manual stating that WS is the correct fluid to take in to the dealer and get them to change to the correct fluid. Having T-IV in the car for 500-1k miles before I have a chance to go back to the dealer won't cause any problems will it?

Also I initially went to the dealer just expecting to do an oil change and say no to all the other items they always try to sell me on, then I thought it's almost 100k miles and I should probably do some of the things he's recommending such as transaxle fluid and spark plugs so I went for the 30k service special and used a coupon from a crosstown dealer to get it for $290. When looking at the parts list I realized that they hadn't done the plugs either, which were included on the crosstown dealer's list of items on the 30k service but may not be on my dealer's list. I know the irridium plugs don't really need to be changed until 120k but should I try to get them to do it? Service was done at Toyota Central, Downtown Los Angeles.
    Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota ATF T-IV is the correct fluid for 2001-2003 model year Prius. 2004 model year up to current Prius use Toyota ATF WS which has lower viscosity and should yield slightly better mpg. I don't expect any harm to your transaxle from using T-IV.

The iridium spark plugs for 2G Prius actually have a 150K mile service interval in CA and other PZEV states. However it certainly does not hurt to change them at ~100K miles if you wish to do so. I plan to do this as well when my 2004 hits 100K miles (now at 97K.)

1 person likes this.
  3. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I'd say you probably paid the going rate. Here's an example. You might notice they don't include spark plugs for the 2 year/30,000 mile service. They do change oil/filter, air cleaner, HVAC filter, rotate tires, change tranny fluid and radiator coolant. Somehow they "tune" the engine, too.

[​IMG]