1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Opinion Glass Breakage Sensor!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RadMarv, Jul 22, 2005.

1. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

My brother is buying his new 05 Prius and should have it sometime late next week.

He is buying it from the on line sales person. He just recently inquired what it would cost to have the Glass Breakage Sensor added at delivery. Here's the dealer response.

"That glass sensor is an A1 waste of your $. :>

I will be having the Glass Breakage sensor added since one of my co-workers had her window broken at work and loose items inside the car removed. (Don't know why her digital camera was left!) A bag full of paperwork, some makeup and useless stuff was taken! I just want the somewhat added feeling of more security. I've occasionally left my PDA and digital camera in sight. Usually in the back under darkly tinted windows, but there none the less. If the alarm sounds just maybe some one will get a look at the culprit(s).

2. KathyY

KathyY Member

We have it on our '02 but not on the '04. I think that it is a waste of time. If someone is going to break the glass to steal something in plain site they will be gone long before anyone notices or does anything about the alarm. I know that I tend to just get annoyed when I hear car alarms going off since they seem to be going off all the time.

3. Prius-a-rama

Prius-a-rama New Member

I've a question about the sensor:

I have it installed on my 2005, but I read the manual to test it and can't get it to do the pre-alarm honking & light flash when I tap the glass. I've pounded fairly loudly on the drivers side window as instructed and still nothing. I don't want to break it and I read in the Prius chat car pick up list that its default is "off." Either the sensitivity on my alarm is way low, the alarm is at the default "off" or I paid for something I didn't get but was given the manual for giggles.

Is there something I can look at in the car to check if it is indeed installed and turned on properly? Or maybe to turn it's sensitivity higher? I know people ignore alarms, but if the pre alarm honking goes off as someones hitting the glass, I figure it may scare them off before they get a really good hit in to actually break the glass. Of course it'd be useless if they break it on the first try.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing his dealer is Dianne w/ Carson Toyota? She told me the same thing 1.5 years ago when I got my '04.

I haven't missed it - I also have it in my '02, and can't seem to get it to go off.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I could tell you how to test if the alarm itself is enabled (a pre-requisite of course), but it is more difficult to tell if the GBS is installed. The mike is supposed to be on the lower end behind the dash, probably near where the SKS switch is.