1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Options Confusion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by techogurl, Nov 12, 2004.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I read somewhere on this forum that aside from the Extra Warrenty that there are other packages that are available, but I can't seem to find information about them. Should I get the packages or opt to do some sort of treatment once I get home? If you did get the packages... what is a good price for them?

Thanks everyone.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Simply go to www.buyatoyota.com and build your own car. Step 4, Accessories, lists all the Port Installed Options (PIO) and dealer installed options. Some of those duplicate features that come with some of the Options packages 1-6.

[web:96c1ed7d9b]http://www.buyatoyota.com/configurator/config_frame.asp?ptz=3931333034&ptt=534F433130&ptd=3034303539&pth=686F6D6533&series_id=12[/web:96c1ed7d9b]

3. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    by packages r u refering to aftermarket products??

paint sealer, fabric protection, sound insulation and undercoating?

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMHO, all aftermarket and dealer-installed "protections" are worthless. Rust protection, fabric protection, etc., etc., etc. Worthless!

Floor mats are good, because they're easier to clean than the carpets. I use mud flaps as a courtesy to the drivers behind me. I don't have the cargo net. Depending on your needs, you may or may not want it. The first-aid kit is inadequate. You can assemble your own much better and cheaper. The extended warranty seems overpriced to me, even at the discount prices you can find here, considering Toyota's history of reliability.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Danny has a deal with someone for extended waranty protection at a HUGE discount so if you are looking for that, ask him about that first.

7. techogurl

techogurl New Member

What I was refering to is the treatment packages such as paint sealer, fabric protection, sound insulation and undercoating. I know that these can be done at home or at a dealership. I was interested in the pros and cons of having it done and the avg cost that would be considered good value.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the most part those are complete wastes of your money and high profit add ons for the dealers who'll try to convince you they're valuable. The truth is that, esp. in an area like F'ville, you don't need any of it. The fabric is already high quality easy to clean material that doesn't need added protection, if you or your friends are real slobs you can buy a couple cans of Scotch Guard for <$10 and do that yourself.

Buy some Nu-Finish and treat your paint with that. The under coating isn't necessary.

The sound insulation isn't really necessary. I think you should try driving the car for a while. If you find you're a real stickler about the road noise you can find an aftermarket place to install that...there used to be a place in F'ville that did custom mods--van conversions, built limos, custom stereo installs, and stuff like sound proofing....darn if I can remember the name...seems like it was "Cadillac" or something similar. On the main drag through town as you head toward the Mall, sort of across from IHOP but a bit farther toward the mall.

Save your money, whatever you'd have spent will probably pay for your first year's gas.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    because of the way the car is constructed. sound insulation is nearly useless in the best of circumstances.

the plastic panels under the car reduce air friction quite a bit thus reducing any benefit from a coating.

10. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Ok... thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll spend that money instead on getting some Lumar put onto the car. I can't believe the number of rock dings that my poor Rav4 has on it. If the paint on a Prius is the same I mind as well go ahead and protect it now.