1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Profit Margin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by route246, Feb 12, 2008.

1. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A friend of mine and I each just picked up a 2008 HG (package 2) yesterday. I went to the Toyota website and sent quote requests to 12 different dealers in the area and slightly outside of the area. I've done quite a bit of reading, including this article on Edmunds: Dealer holdback at Edmunds car price guide

Most dealerships responded around invoice or as high as $300 over. One responded by asking about the "texture" of my inquiry, whether I was ready to move, if anything firm had come in yet, etc. She was very straight with her questions, unlike the other places which basically sent form letters telling me how wonderful they were (literally, "mailing it in"). She responded with the $200 under invoice which really got my attention. I calculated that the holdback in this car is about $480. I added that a friend of mine might be interested in the same car and what kind of deal we could get if we bought two at the same time. She came back and said add another $150 under or $350 under invoice. The calculator in my head said that if we both bought one their profit would be $130 for each car.

I always believe that if something sounds too good to be true then it definitely is.

We went in yesterday very skeptical, thinking about what kind of things they could do to the deal to mess it up and waste out time. To our shock, it was a straight deal, no add-ons, nothing to obviously inflate their profit (we declined the hard sell from the finance guy for all of the extras they try to peddle).

What we are speculating is that they are having a very slow February coupled with the fact that February is a short month. They must be very worried about making their quota and jeopardizing their holdback. When I asked her why they were being so aggressive with us she said privately that her boss was very interested in doing two deals at once and the profit wasn't that important in this deal. Talk about straight talk.

I asked her how many cars the store moves every month and she said between 250-300. Figure 250 is their quota and maybe $750 holdback per car calculates to $185,500 which is a big chunk of change for the store.

I'm just wondering how we got this deal. Is there something we missed in calculating the dealer profit? I couldn't find any dealer incentives or other things that would add to the net $130 on these cars. Is our timing impeccable?

Did we find a store who is being threatened with losing their holdback in February? It is a small store, given the 250 car quota.

I've been to quite a few dealers recently and they are like ghost towns with nobody shopping in the stores. I know that Internet shopping explains much of this but you just don't see young families looking at cars around here recently.

I was ready to move at $200 under, figuring the dealer deserves the $280 holdback, even in this slow market but when we packaged the 2-fer and they came back with $150 more off, how could we refuse that deal?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $350 under MSRP is meaningless, what did it cost to get out the door? Many dealers will discount MSRP and more than make it up with extras, pre-paid maintenance and warranties. Caveat Emptor!

3. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are only extras if you pay for them.

I got my Prius for under invoice, arranged a price for my trade-in separately, and avoided any of the extras. I actually ended up paying more for my Prius than originally quoted because I was buying in Virginia but had to get Florida registration and title (I am in the military). Florida sales tax is higher than Virginia sales tax.

4. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check your PM. I just bought Package #2 from Gilroy Toyota.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any special reason why you need to buy new? We got our 2004 package 9, IN '04 for well under $20K. It had less than a year's driving on it, and the warranty for the hybrid system here in CA goes to 150K. So with a $960-ish bumper-to-bumper extended service contract to supplement all the other parts (it lasts until 100K miles), how could we go wrong? It's an easy way to save a bundle. ;)

6. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know $350 under MSRP is meaningless. I paid $350 under invoice.

No extras, no pre-paid maintenance or warranties.

$22,059.16 with carpets (Factory Kit IDs: FE,HZ,HG,CF)
    $24,145.16 out the door in California. Every state out the door price is going to be different.

7. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Route246
    You got a very fair deal. Be aware that what the Toyota dealers call invoice and what Edmunds.com calls invoice are two different things. Every Toyota dealer in No Cal adds $500 to their actual invoice for "dealer advertising". THEN they discount off of that invoice value. So you paid actual invoice plus about $150 for their advertising. They still made their full holdback.

I got my 2007 pkg 4 in Aug (31 st) for invoice minus $500 which made it actual invoice (23,471). I just got lucky cause the 08's were coming and they were clearing out the rest of the 07 stock, and it was the last day of the month. I went to Fairfield Toyota. Do NOT ever go to any SAcramento Toyota dealer is my advice.
    Fernsmom

8. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I looked hard to find used, but not luck with used. Either they are abused or asking way too much.

9. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased my 08 package 2 Mag Grey for $21,700 + tax lic- out the door $23,770 on 12/31/2007 at San Francisco Toyota. The internet manager told me that I paid less than all his clients. I got 4 quotes online, and asked him if he could beat the lowest quote which was $21,800.

I think he needed me to make his numbers for the month.

10. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Excellent deal! Was it Cory?

11. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes LCriuser. How did you know?

12. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We have been exchanging email back and forth. He doesn't have the SuperWhite that I wanted. So, I end up paying a little bit more than his quoted price at Gilroy Toyota to get super low mileage Super White. Yes, only 22 miles. :D Other cars that I have tested are close to 100 miles.

13. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought dealer advertising was a cooperative thing and came from the region and was unavoidable. In other words, it's to cover the advertising that they are mandated to do by Toyota. That's what I was led to believe by a friend of mine in the business. The dealer does advertise heavily in the local paper. Is this something different? Additionally, there is a fee that is tacked on to every car that covers regional and national advertising campaigns, too. I always figured that the advertising fee was sacred and not really a profit center for the store.

This is from Edmunds: The invoice price does not include any fees that may be charged by the manufacturer to dealers in a particular area of the country, such as local advertising fees, dealer association fees, or docking and storage fees. Edmunds.com does not track or provide such local fees.
    If a local fee appears on the invoice, it is an actual cost that the dealer paid to the manufacturer when buying the vehicle. In other cases dealers may choose to write in their own ad fees on the consumer sales contract. However, in either case these local fees are a part of the dealer's cost of doing business.

14. LiquidDonut

LiquidDonut New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have the toyota pricing sheets infront of me and the pricing goes as follows:

1224(non-touring) $19,889
    1226(touring) $20,614
    HG(Pkg 2) $518
    FE (emissions) $0
    CF (carpet mats) $126
    HZ (cruise control) $0 (included in the jump up from base)

So a Touring #2 at invoice would be: $21,258
    Regular #2 at invoice is: $20,533

Guessing they didn't wave dealer fees, then you addin shipping/handling, you probably got it right at the invoice.

15. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Monroni (sticker) shows $660.00 for "Delivery Processing and Handling Fee" which is the destination charge?

I'm still curious about this mysterious advertising pack. What's that about?

Also, what are the "dealer fees" that you mention? Is that the advertising pack?

16. LiquidDonut

LiquidDonut New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    that could be it, my dad works for Toyota North America so he and family members are allowed to purchase vehicles at invoice prices, well I was quoted by a dealer here in town, and then called a dealer about an hour away which my g/f had dealt with recently and they were really pleasant and they quoted me a lower total and a lower APR%. There shouldn't be a difference since toyota members get vehicle at invoice and also get a lower APR% through toyota financial services but when I asked the second dealer about it they said the first dealer I talked to had a history of implementing 'dealer fees' which are misc. fees such as paperwork fees, probably the advertising thing you see, on the invoice from the first one they have a admin charge and they have also bumped up the actual car invoice price but a couple hundred. I am not entirely sure how it all works but I just know the toyota dealer here in town is known to tack on extra fees and mostly everyone at the plant here buys out of town because of it.

also, $660 is the delivery charge, the other dealer here charges $669, but the toyota docs have $660 on them.

17. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is what they are all showing when I asked for quotes so can someone dissect the $22,409 here:

2008 Prius HG Package #2
    Model # 1224

FE - 50 State Emissions
    HZ - Base Package:
    Cruise Control
    Heated Outside Mirrors
    15" Alloy Wheels w/Trim Ring
    Tonneau Cover
    Seatback Pockets
    HG - Package #2:
    Smart Start and Smart Entry
    MP3/WMA Playback Capability
    Auxiliary Audio Input Mini-Plug
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats

MSRP: $23,909
    Dealer Invoice: $22,409

18. dmphilip

dmphilip DIGGER

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used my USAA insurance company to purchase my Prius. I paid $24,500 out the door for an 08 with package #5 - I guess this was pretty good, eh.:eek:

19. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think there is also a factor called "volumn discount" from manufacturers if a dealership exceed certain sales volumns. Once the threshold is met, the dealership gets money back from manufacturers even for vehicles they already sold for that quarter or month (not sure?). That is what one salesman told me when I got my Mazda CX-9 for $500 under invoice recently.

The bottom line is that, don't get too excited when you bought a vehicle ar invoice or $500 under. It is very common except for some hot-selling vehicles.

20. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow.... ARe you sure? $24,500 out the door or plus tax?