1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer pulling a fast one???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by neutronned, Jul 4, 2009.

1. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry for the long post, but I think the history is important.

Two weeks ago I put money down on a 2010 IV Solar in Blizzard Pearl and got a Vehicle Inquiry Report with the VIN, vessel name and a 7/8 delivery. Everything was great except for the waiting.

On 6/30, I call the dealer to confirm 7/8 and the salesman calls me back with the information that it might by 7/6, two days early. Still great! He does the standard sell-job on all their protection products and says he'll email the costs.

On 7/2 I get the cost sheet and decide no, not for me. So I email him back to tell him no and also ask for an update on the delivery.

Yesterday, 7/3, I get an email around noon with a new Vehicle Inquiry Report and notice right away that the price and VIN is different. Essential an identical vehicle, only no rear bumper applique.

So I'm thinking, what's this all about. I call his cell and the main line and leave messages on both essentially asking what's up. I also respond to his email with the same question.

Around 5:00PM, he calls but I can't pickup right away. His voice message is garbed but says something to the effect that my car came in but something was wrong with it and rather then make me wait they swapped with another customer who was absolutely happy to take my car and don't worry, my car will be ready on Monday so please call back Monday morning.

I call back within 5 minutes but he doesn't pick up his cell or desk line.

So know I'm left wondering: 1) what was wrong with my original car 2) what is wrong with the car that they want to swap 3) where'd they get an identical car?

My original car still shows up on their inventory list (with the original VIN) but the car they want to swap doesn't.

My wife is all suspicious that somehow this is going to turn into a mess. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they can't answer your questions (before you take delivery) or there is anything whatsoever wrong with the car, you should walk away IMO. You're anxious to get your car, but you're going to live with it (presumably) for many years so you should be completely satisfied going in. Good luck.

3. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    I would go to the dealership and talk to them. They can give you the whole story. Regional is the one that assignes cars to various dealerships. It could have been easy to get another one. My guess is that they do not have the parts to fix whatever is wrong with it so they ordered another one from the regional office.

You just give the car a careful going over and if it looks fresh off the ship, buy it.

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    PM me the original vin.
    Dianne

1 person likes this.
  5. cgrigel

cgrigel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealer can block out what is coming into their inventory so no other dealer sees what is coming in. Just as an FYI I took delivery last Friday of my Silver Prius 3. I would check with the dealer when they say 'it is arriving July 8. My dealer said my car was going to arrive June 19, but he didn't say it was arriving in LA off the boat. I wanted a Sandy Beach color but my dealer couldn't get one in a short period of time, so I was looking at other dealers in another city. The other dealer found me a Sandy Beach and told me, in certain terms, my dealer was not getting a Silver Prius 3; they told me there was no Silver Prius 3 coming into the Western Region. The reason they said that was because my dealer block it out of the Western Region inventory system. Nevertheless to say my dealer did receive the Silver and now I am driving it and love it. I wrote a letter to Toyota USA and the BBB complaining about the ethics of the other dealer. By the way, I am glad I didn't get the Sandy Beach because with Bisque interior because the trim color on the Bisque are Silver (dash, roof trim and interior side trim) and the rest is Bisque. To me it looks cheap without matching colors. Hope this helps. Go to the dealer and talk face to face, don't call. It is harder to lie to someone's face.

6. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's not "blocking" your car.
    It's putting it in reserve.
    I do it too.
    The reason I do it is when I pre-sell a car and have a deposit, and know it's sold, I put it in reserve to both mark it, alert the rest of the store that the car is not available, and block the rest of the dealerships from seeing it ... that's not bad ethics at all.
    If I did not block it, someone doing a dealer trade MIGHT accidentally trade the car away. Or, worse: sell it.
    And, if it's blocked, no one knows I have it to call me to trade it away, thus also ensuring me less calls for cars that are already spoken for, and less risk it might be traded away or sold accidentally.
    I'd say your dealer did what he wanted with HIS inventory. It is his, of course, till you get out your checkbook and take it away from him! :)

7. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dianne,
    Thanks for providing me the info on the VINs. I'm sure that there's a perfectly logical explanation on all this and I just need to be a little more patient! The important thing is that they have a car that matches our request!

Thanks again to responding on a holiday!!

NeutronNed

8. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne responding and checking on another dealerships order for someone is crazy good cust service. Kudos to you

9. reginaever

reginaever New Member

Model:
    IV
    I pre-ordered mine about 4 weeks ago, after reading what cgrigel wrote, I asked my dealer if I could get a vehicle inquiry report with a VIN. She says that she can't find out until she receives the car. I asked her if she is trying to find a car from an allocation, but she says she actually put in an formal order. She said it would be about 6 - 8 weeks initially, but now she says 2 - 3 months. I'm not sure what to think. Should I start looking for another dealer?

10. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Checking and responding on a holiday, to boot!! That is crazy good service! Too bad that CA is a bit too far to drive from MN or Dianne would get my business.

11. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A couple of things she said don't seem right:
    1) Can't get the VIR until the car is rec'vd - I got mine from the dealer when the car was allocated to their dealership but just off the ship and at port.
    2) Cars are still being allocated and some regions have cars that aren't spoken for. I called around to something like 10+ dealers in the upper Midwest and found the one I wanted. Actually, I got calls back from two dealers within a day of one another.
    3) The Toyota online inventory systems seems to sometime show cars from across a region and sometimes not. For example, in the Twin Cities, each dealer's inventory seems separate. In IA, their inventory screens seem to show regional inventory, with some cars "In Stock" if that car is allocated to that dealer and "Available" if it's at another dealer but available to trade.

Bottom-line - I'd probably check a few other Toyota dealer's websites and see which seems to be getting cars. Look for "In Stock" or something to indicate that they are getting or have the car.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  12. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got an email update from the salesperson. The car I originally had allocated to me is still in transit and due next week. In the meanwhile, they had an identical car where the deal fell through and that car was on their lot. So as a service to me, they decided to swap and get me the readily available car rather then make me wait.

So it appears that all is good and all my speculation was for naught.

Thanks to Dianne for helping out and I should have new owner pictures mid next week!!

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As long as you have a refundable deposit (or none), there is no reason you have to stay married to a particular dealer, especially if the model you want is not one of the rare ones. I would e-mail several dealers for quotes and availability, and check build a toyota for your zipcode, and also the different dealers websitesw for inventory.

14. rlr66

rlr66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just ordered the same package. My dealer told me there were only 2 of them in the Southeast region where I'm located and it could take 7-8 weeks because the availability was not there yet. I think we just have to be patient.

15. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    reginaever, I got my vehicle inquiry report about two weeks before I took delivery. It had all the details about the car, boat name, and expected delivery date, but no VIN #.

It arrived on the exact day the report stated. It arrived at the dealership around 9am and I picked it up at 6pm.

16. Tuon

Tuon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm also curious if the dealer might be pulling a fast one on me. I got the vin number and was told the car would be expected on the 4th of July. Which of course being a holiday and a Saturday, and Sunday being a manditory closed day in Jersey. I call on monday, and I get told that the delivery has been pushed back to the following Saturday but on their website the car is listed in stock with the vin number listed.

17. neutronned

neutronned New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can't trust the website information to be literally true. My car was listed as in stock, with the VIN, but the salesperson confirmed that it was really in transit to the dealership. He indicated that "in stock" simply means allocated to that dealer and it's definitely coming in. Exact location could be still at the port, on the truck or train or really at the dealer.

I don't know how they get to call a car that really hasn't arrived yet as "in stock". Seems to me that it should be "coming soon" or "available" or something.

As an update, there was no fast one. I picked up my 2010 this morning and everything was up and up. They simply had an identical car become available sooner then the one I had originally put money on and decided to sell it to me rather then make me waiting even a few more days. Other then not communicating what was happening with the two cars (which worked out to my favor!), I'm very happy with Wilson Toyota of Ames.

Good luck! The wait will be worth it!