1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer rant on extended warranties

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ALS, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was a little put off when I was signing papers with the Finance Manager when she offered up their extended warranties. Even though I wrote a check for the car I had to sign paper work for transferring the cars.

I was in sales for years and I own my own business so ponying up addition items for sale is a normal practice and I was expecting it.

So this women hands me a piece a paper with all the different packages for extended warranty and pre paid service packages.

She writes down all the prices for each service package offered.

NO PROBLEM RIGHT ?

So I reach for the paper and tell her I'll look it over and decide if I want any of the services they are offering when I pick up my car in 11 days. She say no I need that paper and pulls out a self stamper and imprints the paper. The imprint says that I'm turning down the offers and asks me to sign it.

Guess what Mr. Toyota Dealer that move by that woman just cost you any chance of me buying any warranty or service package from your dealership ever.

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the right thing- write the General Manager of the dealership (with a copy to the actual owner and Toyota Customer Relations) a letter describing that conduct and how it made you feel.

3. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do another right thing. Buy an extended warranty here from PriusChat. Do a search you'll see the advantages.

4. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if it's the right thing; As long as you are still under factory warranty, you can purchase the extended warranty. I'm waiting to see what Toyota extended warranty enhancements are announced in August before I decide whether to purchase or not. --TK

5. SATCOM

SATCOM New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been buying cars since '77, and have never purchased an extended warranty. IMO it's not needed with a quality vehicle. My vehicles have been Datsun (Nissan), Acura, Honda, Toyota and Suzuki. Most of them had over 100K miles on them when I sold them or traded-in. As long as I did my part reference regular/scheduled maintenance I never had any problems (knocking on faux wood desk).

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. If you buy a Ford, it's needed, but not with Toyota or Lexus.