1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer rotates my tires 1 side only

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ichiro, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yesterday, my Prius had its 10K mile service done at the local dealership (San Francisco Toyota). They were supposed to change the oil and rotate the tires.

I didn't notice until I got home that they had not rotated the right side wheels. I have one Pirelli P3000 tire that replaced one of the original Goodyears, and it was still on the front right corner. Perturbed, I call the dealer to find out why. The service advisor told me that they had only changed the left side because the treadwear on the Pirelli was 1/16" greater than the other tires.

Is this standard practice to only rotate the tires if the front tire treadwear is greater than the rear tire's?

2. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you mean the Pirelli had 1/16" greater tread depth or was it tread wear as you stated? I can't see why he would leave the faster wearing tire on the front since it will wear even more quickly there. If they did then their judgement is poor. It also seems to me it would be preferable to let the others wear out in pairs rather than individually. With what they did you will have three different wear rates instead of two.

Regardless the dealer should have contacted you to ask you about the tires on that side and tell you what he intended to do. It's really bad form to charge for a requested service when it isn't performed. I would insist on only paying for 1/2 of the rotation in this case.

I've noticed that Toyota never sends out a customer satisfaction survey when I have a problem with dealer service. Yet, I always get one when there was no problem.

3. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On a front wheel drive car it's pretty common to put tires on the front that have the most tread left. This of course is because the drive wheels wear faster. On rear wheel drive cars it's common to have the tires with most tread moved to the back or in the case where a tire is towards the end of it's life a judgement call is usually made to put them on the front instead of the back so you don't have steering problems.

With that being said, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't have moved the tire with more wear to the rear of your vehicle. In fact, due to the fluctuation of tire height between manufacturers, and even models of tires from the same manufacturer, I'd always want the same brand on the drive wheels.

Are you sure the Pirelli doesn't have the most tread since it's newer? Regardless though, like I said, even if it has more tread than the others I'd put it in the back in favor of having two of the same drive wheels.

Mike

4. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't measured the tread myself, but I think that the oddball Pirelli has the most tread since it only has 5K miles whereas the others have 10K miles.

I would prefer to have the single Pirelli in the rear, too, regardless of small treadwear differences.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to go back to the #$%! dealer and demand that they rotate the right side as well, or just rotate them myself.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the point of tire rotation usually is to even out tread wear so that all four tires can be replaced at once. If you agree with that objective, then it is reasonable to leave the Pirelli tire with greater tread depth in the front for now.

If you have to pay for tire rotation, you probably will do better by saving that money for your replacement tire fund (or DIY if convenient or feasible).

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    take it back and complain about not being asked first, and you might score some comps (complimentary services), so far i have gotten:
    1 free detail (not used yet)
    1 car wash (they should wash your car every time you should not have to ask for it)
    1 12v starter battery
    1 replacement wheel ornament when one came back missing
    some free touch up paint

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire rotation: Just Say No. It's safer to leave the two better tires on the rear of the car, to help prevent understeer (fishtailing). Plus you avoid pointless annoyances such as this experience.

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    IMHO that's really not a good reason to complain... to get "stuff". When I complain I turn down free stuff and respond with, "no thank you, just make sure it doesn't happen to myself or someone else again". In my eyes (I could be wrong), doing this shows that you're not in it for something free.... you're in it to make sure the problem is fixed for the future.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OTOH money talks. If a mistake costs the dealer something they're more likely not to repeat it.