1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer said $5k new trans, but scan says Generator Temp Sensor high?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Yosarian, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Yosarian

Yosarian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, so my buddy bought an '07 from an unfortunate who has the dealer do all of his service, with their latest gambit being to try and sell him a used 120k mile tranny for 5-grand. The car has 270k-ish miles, so he felt he'd gotten his money's worth and let it go cheap cheap. Dr. Prius shows a bad mid cell in the hybrid battery, and the 2-year old12-volt was a little undercharged (barely 12v. as I recall). Lights a-plenty were lit: Red Triangle, ABS, VSC, TPMS & brakes, so we dollied her home, but here's the thing. The car runs great, getting 49 mpg after some filter changes and topping off the 12 volt. Don't have TechStream, but I do have a pretty nice Chinese tablet (Launch, but I see the same unit rebranded by many) that's been good to us.Scan also showed a beat module (#9 I think) but it also threw a code we haven't dealt with before: Generator Temperature Sensor Circuit High POA39? Any ideas or suggestions?

A/C is ice cold, brakes are solid, hybrid cooling fan and duct were cleaned but were already running fine, cabin filter was cruddy, as was the PCV valve, but transmission was absolutely fine. Car starts and runs great. Coolant pump circulation looks strong, but also getting C1310 (HV System Malfunction) and B1421 (Solar Sensor Circuit - Passenger side) faults.

Generally we've found that most of these codes resolve once the two batteries are up to snuff, but this Generator Temperature Sensor fault is a new one to us, so any help would be much appreciated. He got me into these Gen 2 Prii, and right now I think our two families have ten or eleven of them between us, so a factory repair manual and hybrid charger are on the way, but meanwhile we're stuck.

Also wondering, what are the forum rules on calling these service writer scoundrels out by name?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You're going to want a real techstream setup to deal with that properly.

lots of shops can get a secondhand transaxle installed in there for less than $5k. Dealer would be a last resort.

It would not be productive to call them out by name. Besides, most of us assume it's all of them.

Now if you find a good one, sing it bro!

Yosarian likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the workup for DTC P0A39 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/21bpm/0a38257.pdf

Here are the results when searching for 'P0A39' within the gen2 forums : https://priuschat.com/search/300063138/?q=p0a39&t=post&o=relevance&g=1&c[node]=3+22+87+68+56+21+49+91+12+54+13+85+14

Yosarian likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    B1421 is just a code you get whenever there isn't strong sunlight shining on the solar sensor on the dash. So unless you got that code when the car was out in the sun, it isn't a problem.

C1310 is just a code the skid ECU sets in response to the car already having hybrid-system codes. So all it means is you should make sure you know what the hybrid-system codes are, and pay attention to those.

As the workup posted by SFO indicates, you can check the wiring and connectors where the temperature sensor signal comes out of the transmission. If you're lucky, there could be a simple problem there. Otherwise, the issue is going to be internal to the transmission, and transmission replacment (or at least stator replacement) will probably be indicated.

Yosarian likes this.
  5. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take your Prius to an 'independent Hybrid repair shop' near you=Stay away from the DEALER!!!

Yosarian likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Yosarian

Yosarian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all for your very helpful & considered assistance. My default is generally that most codes are somehow triggered by a primary issue w/ one or both of the battery systems, but until my new gear arrives I'm still not out of the woods w/ regard to said batteries, so until then I'm still somewhat tilting at windmills. Meanwhile, I'll certainly be following up on all of the helpful proffered links and information.

I'd also like to apologize for not having found the cited Prius Chat references before posting this. I'll be reading them straight away, but I did attempt several searches beforehand with no joy, so I'm guessing I need to refine my searches. Being one who is constantly annoyed by lazy arses who post w/o first searching, I feel compelled to at least offer this rather weak mea culpa. :)

Beyond that, I have to say that this forum in particular has been a truly wonderful resource, and I very much appreciate the time & efforts of the folks who contribute here. You all represent a kind of virtual therapy for my expanding Prius habit (as Wife Number Last refers to it). Nice to know we have a "support group". ;)

Lastly, agreed, TechStream is now top of my list of essentials, so thanks for that reinforcement as well.

Now I just need to find a little monkey to train to install window tint to survive our pretty brutal summer sun. Getting a hip replaced in a couple of weeks, so not quite as nimble as my 18 year old head thinks my 63 year old body is. lol

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A default like that is essentially something to unlearn on the path to enlightenment. :) There are literally hundreds of trouble codes possible in a Prius with causes that aren't either battery.

WHCSC likes this.