1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says 2005 prius needs new computer to replace key???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jsibley, Jun 14, 2015.

1. jsibley

jsibley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A dealer quoted me a price that seemed bearable to sell me and program a new key for a 2005 Prius that originally had a smartkey. I mistakenly thought that would take care of things and I wouldn't have to worry about making any mistakes (probably my first mistake).

The dealer is now telling me that they spent hours trying to program a new key and then (!) called Toyota and were supposedly told that some 2005 Prius require a new computer and that the dealer won't be able to program a key without the new computer.

To support this, the dealer sent me a technical bulletin that only applies to Prius 2001 - 2005 without a smartkey. The fact that this bulletin doesn't include a 2005 Prius with a smartkey doesn't reassure me that there aren't other instructions, official or not that would work.

So, since I have already had the Prius towed to this Toyota dealer, does anyone have any suggestions for next steps? Is there something I should tell this dealer? Is there a locksmith in Northern NJ that I should contact instead, even though it is already at a dealer?

I would appreciate any help, even if to point me at a thread that will definitely work for a 2005 Prius with SKS (I've looked and I'm having trouble telling whether any definitively fit the bill). Unfortunately, we lost the last key we had.

Many thanks for any help.

2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am skeptical. We had a dealer recently lose our valet key for a Honda Pilot while there for an airbag recall. They decided to reprogram a new key without telling us. The next day, my wife couldn't start it with her regular key. It took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened, then somebody else contacted us when they found our original key (with phone number) in their back seat.

Needless to say, I had an interesting conversation with the manager. However, they were able to reprogram a new key without having my original key.

3. Mike8913

Mike8913 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds sketchy to me. Just from a basic technology standpoint, if you're sticking with the same technology and just replacing a component; that should not require a whole new computer. That like being told you need a new computer because your hard disk failed. it's just false.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm a little confused, but if you are saying you lost all your keys, then i think you need a new computer (ecu) and fobs. you should get 2 in case you lose one again. if you have one, you can get another for a few hundred. if you lose all, you need a new computer, around $1200 with 2 fobs. there are many lost fob threads with warnings from members about not losing your last fob.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a great wealth of information to be found in your service manual (techinfo.toyota.com), probably enough to answer about any question you have. I know the info is very complete in my service manual (which unfortunately is the wrong year and generation, so won't directly do you any good).

Because I have a Gen 1, the only official recourse if I lose every master key is indeed to replace the immobiliser ECU. (A new one arrives in a no-key-registered state where it will spend half an hour handshaking with the hybrid ECU, and then wake up like Titania and fall in love with the first key it sees.)

But I was pretty sure the Gen 2 setup was different, and there's more that can be done using the Techstream software, at a special "security professional" subscription level, which is only offered to recognized locksmiths. To see if I'm crazy, check your manual.

-Chap

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you lost all your keys, you would need to have the dealer reseed the car, deleting all records of keys and adding the new (or used) keys to the car.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Having at least one original key to begin programming from is different than not having any keys to start from.

Were you simply adding an additional key?

Or did you lose all keys and needed to start over?

8. jsibley

jsibley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. We lost the only remaining key and fob for this car.

So, can someone knows what they are doing and has the appropriate equipment get a new key to work? Does it require reseeding the system? I'm asking because the dealer claims they tried to reseed and it didn't work and that they were told by Toyota that it's impossible for this car, even though it is a 2005, which seems to contradict what I have read.

Also, if we lost the last key, should the dealer erase all keys rather than (or in addition to) reseeding?

Also, does anyone happen to have a document number (or instructions) that I could point the dealer to that includes instructions that don't involve a new computer for the car?

Thanks!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    member 3prongpaul has done this many times at his shop.....according to everything I've read, a 2005 can be reseeded, all the keys will be deleted and new (or used) keys can be added.

Mrs.Diamond likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never heard this before, all the best! let us know how you make out please.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At best.....your dealer seems to be VERY incompetent.
    At worst, they're crooks.

I would tolerate neither, and immediately seek redress from the dealership's owner (NOT to be mistaken for a manager!) and somebody from corporate, and I would also see if the Chamber of Commerce and/or the BBB might be helpful.
    Roughly in that order.

Reseeding the car for a new key isn't emerging technology. Your car is TEN YEARS OLD.
    If I'm not mistaken, a competent locksmith can perform this procedure for used (or new) keyfobs, which are plentiful and cheap on eBay....for a nominal fee that's probably less that the <<expletives deleted>>>> at the dealership are trying to charge you for just the new fob.

There is absolutely NO REASON that states should allow dealerships to prey on consumers in this manner.
    None!!!
    Show the owner this thread and dare them to defend this activity....or?

Continue to buy their products.

Your Call.

Good Luck!

exstudent likes this.
  12. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do you know where the key fob computer is? I have a wrecked Prius with two fobs and a new one with one. The new one is an 09 the wrecked one is an 04 both smart key cars.

13. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Reesed when:
    1) Loose ALL keys.
    2) Regain SKS functionality on a used SKS key you found or bought from eBay/Craigslist/Amazon, etc.
    3) If I recall correctly, to delete lost keys.

Reseeding always clears all programed/learned keys. Something you obviously want; someone happens to find your lost key and opens/drives off w/ your car. During the reseed process, once keys are cleared, whatever keys are present, are then programed and learned.

Post #11 above has it correct: the technician(s) who attempted to reseed are incompetent. If the reseed procedure was done correctly, you would not be asking for help. Now there is the off chance that Murphy's Law is in effect here, and the SKS related computers coincidently went bad. But I give you lotto odds of this happening. Its like you getting struck by lightning, TWICE. I am inclined to speculate that the Tech did try, but screwed up the reseeding process, and may be the cause of this ECU needing replacement. Or, out of incompetence/frustration from having tried incorrectly, he/she says a new computer is required.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's behind the dash somewhere, what are you trying to accomplish?

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @jsibley Have they given you a $ estimate for what they propose? Maybe I missed it, sorry if that's the case.

16. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Take the computer out move it to the other car with both fobs

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh that's interesting. no idea if that can be accomplished, but it would be pretty sweet.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It'll probably be easier to reseed the car and program the fobs you want.

There are sensors on the doors and center console, not sure if those sensors will recognize the new keyfob