1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says no aftermarket brake pads/rotors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigFatGuy, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BigFatGuy

BigFatGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    174,000 miles, I figured it was time to replace the original front pads & rotors. Still worked fine, but that's a lot of miles.
    I ordered Centric rotors and Brembo pads from Tire Tack. They fit just fine, and work fine, but there's an audible rubbing/scraping sound. Not a squeal, but sounds like the pad springs are in contact with the rotor. The noise frequency increases with speed. Sounds like the brake pad spring is slightly in contact with the rotor. I tried a couple times, but couldn't get it right, so I hit the dealer yesterday and dropped it off.
    They just called, said aftermarket brakes never work and I should go with OEM stuff. The Centric/Brembo combo doesn't work because the "fit kit" and the "spring kit" don't work. They want ~$280 to fix it. Then, it's been 60k since rear brakes were touched, so they want to adjust those and do the brake fluid. ~$530 total.

Does this sound legit? I've never had issue with other brand brakes in my other cars.....

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All in, that doesn't sound too bad. I'd concur: just stick with OEM parts, there's no upside to aftermarket. Have you ever had the brake fluid changed before? It's long overdue imho.

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  3. BigFatGuy

BigFatGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, not terrible. I just haven't seen it where aftermarket companies haven't been able to figure out brake pads for a 10 year old car. The brakes are nothing special.
    Weird.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put "Raybestos" brand pads and rotors on my 06 Prius 8 months ago. I was not overly impressed with the lifespan of the OEM Toyota parts and they are quite expensive, so I took a chance with aftermarket. I can't notice any difference. No change in brake performance or noise compared to our other Prius with OEM parts. Just checked them when I took off the winter rims and they are wearing normally. The rotor hub is even painted black so they look better with the aluminum rims. I think the parts came to about 120 bucks Canadian.

valde3 likes this.
  5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i had aftermarket brake on my '04, no problems. about to put aftermarket on both my current cars. i would take the brakes apart and inspect them carefully. perhaps you didn't put them together right, or you may have bent the backing plate a bit.

you can easily clean and adjust your own rear brakes for the cost of 1 can of brake cleaner. if they even need it...

valde3 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree that aftermarket can/should work but i think 280 bucks to fix something you can't deal with is very reasonable.
    as for the rear brakes, like the front, you should go by the condition, not the time/miles. toyota has a maintenance schedule in the o/m, check the brake fluid change mileage, and get some competitive pricing if it's due.
    but whatever you do, start following the maintenance schedule, and stop flying by the seat of your pants.

valde3 likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed on the maintenance schedule. I get aftermarket parts from the auto parts stores, AutoZone pads, and wherever I find a good rotor. Last rotor set I bought Bosch Quiet Cast from O'Reilly's.

If it is making noise, it's the pads. Did you figure out where those Brembo pads were made??? Anyways, I'd get a set of ceramic pads from AutoZone if available to try, and if that doesn't solve the problem you can bring them back!

8. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For brake rotors get AISIN or Zimermann, Germany. Brake pads get AISIN or Brembo.