1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says Prius ran out of gas - it didn't. Why?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kimncris, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with about 152000 miles.

about 2 weeks ago we got new tires and an oil change before a long road trip. the next day the Check Engine light came on. I took the car back to Firestone the next day and they were complete jerks about even checking the light for me, but eventually read the code for me P505 Idle Air control sensor. They swore it was a minor error and after some online investigating, I decided that at least we could drive the trip and then get it fixed when we got back.

On the way back home, the light went out.

The next few days it was fine, then CEL comes back on, p505 and also 1220 I believe. That same night - the light went back off.

A few more days of no light then BAM saturday midnight Red Triangle of doom (!) and the car stalls.

After a couple of resets, I was able to start the car again and decided to drive home instead of the dealer. On Monday on the way to the dealer, the car stalled and would not come back to life. see photo.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I had to be towed to the dealer who charged me $109 to tell me I ran out of gas and they reset the code for me.

But as you can see from the photo I still had 4 bars. Why does the dealer insist I ran out of gas - and is there anything else that could be causing this? They say they've never heard of an idle air control sensor going out on a prius.

confused,

-cris

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! what did they say about the four bars?

3. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. They said I must have put that gas in after I ran out. After I spok with the manager they just said - huh- well bring it back if it does it again.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it make sense to you based on you previous fill-up data?
    If it happened to me I would know I filled up with 8.x -gal at 12x,yzx miles on the prior fill-up.

If your are not filling up each time, I don't know if you can fake out the "guess" gauge.

5. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. The half tank or so was about right after coming back on that long trip. I filled up at two bars and it put in 8+ gallons.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how's your 12 volt battery?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 8+ gallons at 2 bars is a good fill-up.
    Using Google maps etc, can you estimate how many miles you went after the fill-up?
    What MPG did your display show for the tank? (if known)

8. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about the 12volter. I think we are still on the original one? I don't recall ever replacing it

As far as mileage it looks like it was about 330 miles to the four bars. Assuming the dealer did not add gas- I drove another 50 or 60 after the service and filled up at two bars again.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK that makes sense. Sometimes 330 miles could mean 4 bars like you had...that is just like my current fill-up we got a lot of gas in there 9 gals. So now we are like you. Other times the fill-up is not as full and 330 miles could mean near empty. If you are correct, 8 gal at 2 bars, that would suggest fairly full tank so 330 miles should be 4 bars, and therefore the mishap is not explainable by me.

10. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's wierd. Btw we have been consistently getting about 44-45 mpg so that's good. Kim used to get 50+ but she really knows how to push it.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Kim/Chris. Did you check the oil levels immediately after the change to see by how much they had overfilled it?

If other people's experience is anything to go by, then by far the most common cause of engine check lights after an oil change (especially those relates to the throttle and intake system) are due to overfilling the oil. It can result in excessive oil being drawn off through the crankcase ventilation system, which fouls the intake system.

12. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! Now you may be on to something. I did check the oil- but was looking for it to be leaking out. You are right that it was filled all the way up- the dipstick was measuring it slightly above the second dot.

If i see this in the future- is there an easy
    Way to draw off a little?

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes can definitely drain a little off if you need to, but first give it a check on level ground with engine cool (off for 15 minutes+). Given your trip it may have drawn off and consumed most of the excess already. You may need to get the throttle body cleaned.

Most people here are very wary of overfilling the oil their Prius, it seems to be quite sensitive to this problem. It's hard to know exactly the point (overfill) that will cause problems, though some people have reported problems with even minor overfills. I'd definitely be very wary of anything filled to more that 1/4" over the top dimple on the stick.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe you can get a oil sample kit with a little hand pump and tube to take some out of the dipstick hole.
    My 2006 only takes like 3-qts so I tell them 3-qts and put maybe a little more in at home. Usually I do it myself.

15. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info. Thank you!

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got a hand pump at pep boys, takes a while though. i saw a 12v pump at lowes in the lawn mower parts area. amazon has them all. you might consider just replacing the battery if it's original. a borderline battery can wreak havoc with the entire cars electricals and present various unusual problems.

xpcman likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the 12V battery is original, it needs to be checked:
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery
    Your weird problems don't fit the typical low-12V mold, so don't simply shotgun it without checking first.

18. Kimncris

Kimncris New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont even know where that battery is- so that will be something new to learn.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well its in the trunk under the "floor"

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know it never hurts to check the 12V health, but a throttle plate related problem on the first day after a dubious oil change is pretty much to a no brainer for an overfill / fouled throttle body.