1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says replace right rear tail light assembly $426... Ug!

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by scoot, Mar 9, 2024.

1. scoot

scoot Member

My sister has a 2015 Prius C that she has had since new. One of her right rear lights is not working. She can't tell me if it's the parking light, turn signal, brake light, all of the above, etc. The dealer says she needs a new tail light assembly and wants $426. I know that's crazy. But is there something that would go wrong with the assembly other than a simple bulb replacement? She's 90 miles away from me and broke, so I know I'm going to end up helping her with this one way or another....
    Thanks.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer is an expensive way to solve problems on a car that isn't under warranty. I would strongly encourage you/her to start working with a local mechanic.

There is a repair campaign for water intrusion in the taillights. If you determine that it isn't working because it got flooded, then take it to Toyota because that effectively is a warranty repair. (although it sounds like they already saw the car and didn't notice water, so...)

If it isn't simple and isn't covered by the repair campaign, get a used one. car-part.com is a database of used parts distributed in many recycling yards across the country. Might be one in your backyard, and some of the participants ship.

Good luck!