1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer scamming or something else?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magicguy, Jan 6, 2006.

1. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The waiting list at my dealer is apparently a stack of papers with deposits, with the order based on when you put down your deposit. Seem fishy? Here's the story.

I've been on a wait list since late Oct here in Albuquerque at Karl Malone Toyota. Overall it's been a good experience but lately I've wondered. This is an easy sale, I know what I want, I put money down and the paperwork only took a few minutes -- easy money for the salesguy. They originally told me my car would probably be here in March, I was #59 on the list.

So I just wanted to check where I was on the list at the end of December. My sales guy said he was too busy to check where I was on the list, so I asked him to get back to me within a week (what I thought was reasonable) and he basically said he couldn't. I was at the dealership later that week and asked to see a manager. I tried to explain that I just wanted to know what number I was on the list, and also let him know that his sales guy wouldn't tell me -- I think he was thinking I was asking when I would get my car, not just where I was on the list. He definitely didn't do anything to address the 'customer service' of his salesman. He eventually went in the back and came back to tell me I was #39, probably get a car in March/April (apparently they only got an allocation of 5 in Dec, though they usually say they get 12 a month).

That's when he told me the list is just a stack of papers in the sales office.

This got me thinking, why don't they have the list on a computer? The only reason I can figure is that they can 'adjust' the queue since there really is no record.

Can anyone think of any other reason? Is this dealer doing something fishy? Should I tell Toyota or the VP at the dealership? Or just let it go?

What can I use for leverage to get the salesguy's attention that I think this is crappy service? I'm a little leary of pissing the guy off who is going to be doing all the work on the final sale -- I'm worried I may end up with a bunch of extras or worse, they may keep 'moving me down in the stack'.

John

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The dealer would be able to move you down a list on a computer just as easily as with a stack of paper and you'd still never know.

3. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A computer list that all the salespeople had access to would be harder to scam though. It would give more transparency. Plus it seems it would be better customer service since you could call and get an instant answer from your salesguy on where you are in line.

If I was a salesguy and I saw my 'sale' was getting moved around I would complain. But I doubt a sales guy will see a slip of one or two slots if someone gets moved to the head of the line.

I guess I just don't see why they would put it only in a stack of papers, and I don't exactly trust the dealer after he told me he couldn't check on where I was in line.

John

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If there's a paper stack, it's almost certainly in the possession of the manager and the manager is going to be the one to rearrange it. He'll take the interests of his salespeople into account or not, according to his own criteria.
    Doubtless, a computer waiting list would also be accessable only by the manager for just the reasons you cited.
    You're just not going to be able to squeeze accountability out of a car dealership. <_<

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You might want to investigate getting your deposit back, if they have poor customer service when you are trying to buy a car think of what it might be like later on? I would suggest trying to find a dealer that doesn't take deposits, deposits on cars just protect the dealer anyway, they do nothing to protect you, the customer.

As far as waiting lists go I know some dealers don't use them the way you might think they do. When I bought my Prius last Sept the dealer had a waiting list that was several pages long, they showed it to me. My car was suppose to go to the guy on the top of the list but when they called him he said he wanted to wait for an '06. So instead of calling the next guy on the list they sold it to me because I was standing there with money in my pocket, I wasn't even on their list. But the salesman I was talking to wasn't the salesman for the next few people on the list either.

Would I buy another car from this dealer? sure why not? They treated me right and they have a good service department as far as I know. Would I give them a deposit or down payment to get on their list? not in this lifetime. and I wouldn't give any other car dealer a deposit either

6. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The telephone is a wonderful tool. I purchased my Prius last April from Hollywood Toyota in LA after being on a waiting list at my local dealership for weeks. The local guy was nice enough, but kept calling me and saying "It'll be another two weeks". This went on for six before I finally began calling every Toyota dealer within about 500 miles.

Hollywood Toyota had gotten a shipment in the previous night, and had a black package six with a grey interior on the lot that didn't have anyone's name on it yet. I bought it over the phone, and flew down that afternoon. The dealer picked me up at the airport, drove me back to do the paperwork, and I drove the car home that night (up to Lake Tahoe... a little under 500 miles). Flights are reasonably cheap, especially if you are going to a large, competitive city (like Phoenix, Vegas, or LA). Don't agree on a sale until you call the airlines and make sure you can get there inexpensively, though.

The only downside was that I paid about .25% more sales tax than I would have in Nevada, but it seemed like a good trade off. I also paid for a flight, but those are fairly cheap. The dealer recognized that I was paying a little extra and came down about $250 under MSRP on the price... this was at a time when most Prii were going for at or over MSRP.

This isn't an endorsement of Hollywood Toyota, although they are worth calling in my opinion. Rather, this is an endorsement of not going to your local dealer if they seem not to be responsive. Call around the southwest... there are lots of Toyota dealers out here, and you might find one that has exactly what you want in inventory right now.

Besides, you'll get to play with all the gadgets driving it home!

Dan

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I got on the list, I was #76. When I went back to the dealer a month or so later, I asked how the list was going and my sales rep and I went back into a room where he opened a drawer and started flipping through papers. In this case, it wasn't a stack on a desk but rather sheets in a hangling folder; basically the same concept but a little neater IMHO.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that your dealer is just using paper. In the end, the February '04 to April '05 anticipated wait ended in August of '04 when I adopted Priapus.

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I second the recommendation to change dealers. I had an appointment with Carlsbad Toyota for a test drive. There were two cars on lot and a shipment coming in. After my test drive I was sold and wanted to "get on the list". While looking at what was coming in I said that I wanted one like the Salsa #6 that was out back. The folks who had it on hold lost their loan that Friday and this was Monday morning. I rode off in my SalsaWonder less than 2 hours later.

Really cover your bases. Phone and on-line services may be much more productive for you. That dealership you are working for sounds poorly organized and not person centered. You are still the person with the $$, you should be treated better even if it is a Prius you are waiting for.

9. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I still haven't sold my 04 Prius (long story, lots of different reasons) so I'm hesitant to burn bridges and pull the trigger going somewhere else until that happens. If I can't sell my 04, I'll just keep it and not buy an 06. When (if) I sell my 04, I'll get more serious about calling other dealers. We only have two in town here -- one really ticked me off with the way they treated me, and the other one basically treated me well until this last incident.

Bottom line is that I'll cut them some slack for now. If it looks like something really bad is going on, for example, I move down on the list later or stop getting response from them, I'll cut them loose though.

By the way, anyone have any suggestions for good markets I can try to sell my 04 pkg 5 in? I put it up on craigslist, I could add it to craigslist in other areas if the markets there are hot. My 04 is basically mint, very well taken care of and asking 22,450. Dealers around here are asking $25k+ for the same or worse cars, but for some reason mine isn't selling and theirs are.

Thanks for the help.
    John

10. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason you haven't posted it here in the Private Sales forum? By my observation, it seems to get a pretty good response.

Be sure to put things like price flexibility in your posting.

11. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Jeez magicguy... get with the program. Slip the salemanager a Jackson and get moved to the top of the list.

Palm oil, son... good ol' fashioned palm oil. Get's 'em everytime.

12. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

I do not think the waiting list really works as it soppose to.
    I visited only 2 toyota dealers at November, (of course I made phone contacts with lots of dealers before my visit, but finally chose these two because they are closer), then, I put $100 deposit on one, which promised me he can get one for me most likely in January, no late than February. But for the second one, they told me they have a long waiting list, so, I just left without paying deposit, but I did give him the number and told him when the car is here, call me and I would be happy to buy it ASAP. But since I did not pay deposit, I was not in the waiting list.

But around December 10th, the second dealer called me, and told me at least a silver #7, and a black #5 is coming and would be here before Christmas, and asked if I wanted it. But I have to put $1000 deposit, otherwise, the car will go to some guy in the waiting list. So, I said why not, but only one condition, I would not pick the car before January 1st. The dealer agreed, and after 5 minutes talk on the phone, he even gave me $100 off MSRP. As he promised, I made payment at January 2nd, and drove the car back home at January 5th (I could have picked up the car earlier, but I was busy those days).

So, the lesson I learned is, the dealer just want to get the money as soon as possible, they do not care who is in the list. If you give him the money, you get the car immediately, no waiting. I was not in their waiting list, but I got the car firstly!

Do visit or call you dealer more often, that is important.

13. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HeyKB,

I did post my car on PriusChat private sales, no response though. I have been thinking about it and I may have an idea what's going on. Serious, smart buyers that do their homework are willing to wait for a 2006 for a couple thousand more. Those that aren't willing to wait just go buy one from a dealer because they feel safer. Also, there's a lot of pressure at a dealer and probably more impulse buying. Even though my car is better than any dealer car I've seen (I have every record of every little thing done to the car, even the mpg since it was new and there are no problems at all with the car), people probably think it's risky to buy a used car from a private buyer.

I can't think of any other reason dealers seem to move used cars and mine won't sell.

We'll see what happens in the next month or two. The break point is when the dealer calls me to tell me my allocated car is in -- if I haven't sold mine by then I'll have to decline the 06 and keep my 04, which wouldn't be a bad thing :)

John

14. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

A dealer can also offer a used car warrantee.
    (Yours may have a transferrable warrantee. I didn't check.)

15. gas hater

gas hater New Member

In the same vein, I turned down a car right before the new year as I wanted to get the tax credit. So now my sales dude is saying that he may have some coming in this weekend that "are not spoken for" One would think I was high on the list if they offered me a car last month, but now evidently there are people ahead of me. If I dont get one of the cars coming in I may be a bit pissed.