1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealer svc. dpt. can't get tire pressure right!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fintonissimo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I know this has been talked about here before, but I just have to vent! The last time I took my car in for an oil change, I specifically asked them to set the tire pressure at 40 psi in the front and 38 psi in the rear tires. They gave me quite a lecture, said that I was in danger of having a blowout; and made me sign a waiver so that I wouldn't hold them responsible. After all that, I got home and the tire pressures were exactly the same as before I came! (I did wait to make sure the tires cooled off before checking the pressure.) So, I called them and complained.

I just went back today to the same dealer for another oil change and requested the same tire pressures as I had the time before. When I went to the desk to pay I noticed on the ticket that they had reversed what I had asked for. They had it down as 38 in the front, 40 in the back. I went to the tech and told him it wasn't what I wanted. He said it didn't matter, that a couple lbs. different wouldn't make much of a difference. He then said that the rear part of the car is actually heavier than the front part! He said it with such authority that now I'm not sure. Anyway, he agreed to change the tire pressures to what I wanted. We went into the garage together, and lo and behold, I measured the pressures with my guage, and they were identical to when I had brought the car in for service! He called the workers over and told them what I really wanted. We compared our guages, and they were measuring the same. I then told the 2 workers to put 40 in the front, 38 in the rear. Since there were 2 workers, one did the front, and the other did the rear. I thought after all this they finally knew what I wanted and were doing it. Well, I got home, and the front tires were 40, and the rear tires were 30!!

How hard can this be? This is a very reputable dealer, too! I guess from now on I'll just have to take care of this myself.

End of rant!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Inflate the tires the pressure you want yourself. Tell them not to muck w/the tire pressure. I've done that w/dealers before.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

They are either incompetent or just screwing with you. Either way, you should just do it yourself.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude who are you bringing the car to? PM reply is fine. I haven't been able to find a Chicagoland Toyota dealership service department who hasn't either obviously tried to rip me off (by basically bold-faced lying) or totally missed glaring issues with the car. Be happy you got your oil change done right - one place couldn't even get that done properly.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even more importantly...... why are you going back???????

I know Chitown has more than one dealer..... I understand the rant, been there done that, but for a machanic to come out and say ...

What else to they don't they care about...
    "Oh that's enough oil, it's close to the line"
    "I rotated your tires, but reused only 4 out of 5 lugnuts, you really only need 4 however, 5 is overkill"
    "I left the protective covers off the HV battery connections, the chances your kids will find them are slim..."

Really sounds like a dealer I would write a letter to the Owner/Top Dog Manager with these annoyances, and then do most of the work yourself, and find another dealer for major maintenance and repairs!!

6. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I mention the dealership I went to, I want everybody to know that this is not slander on my part, because it is a truthful account of what I experienced!

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago. I bought my car at Northbrook Toyota. I wasn't satisfied with their service dpt., and won't go back. I then went to Libertyville Toyota. They did a much better job in my opinion, but they readjusted my tire pressures to factory specs without telling me.

I then went to Arlington Toyota last Fall, which is the closest to me. That was the 1st appt. that I mentioned in my earlier post, when I called back to complain. Since I had complained, I figured the problem with the tire pressures wouldn't happen again; so I went back to them yesterday with a coupon for a $20 discount on the oil change. They have an incredibly nice new facility with wifi access and it is the closest Toyota dealership to me, so it is convenient. Plus, my car needed a wash, and they also wash your car for free. So, even though I'm annoyed that they haven't completely done what I've asked in 2 appts., it is a minor issue (tire pressures) that I can take care of myself now that they've proven to me that I can't trust them with that. My concern is that if I can't trust them with something little, I might not be able to trust them with something big. However, they have a pretty good reputation, so in general they must be ok.

If anybody knows of a great independent shop that is trustworthy in my area (Wheeling/Buffalo Grove)and isn't too far away, I'd be very interested in trying somewhere different. Although, my car is at about 33K now, and there are some issues (minor problems: passenger seat squeaking, brake pedal barking) that I may want to try to get fixed before it is out of warranty. Therefore, my next visit will probably have to be to a Toyota dealer.

Chuck

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the problem with them setting the tire inflation pressure to factory specs is due to the litigious society that we live in today. If they do not follow recommended procedures and something bad happens, 7 out of 10 people will contact a lawyer rather than realize that sometimes bad things happen.

Both the dealer and an independent tire shop set the tire pressures to the factory specs without asking me or telling me. I just set it back to what I wanted at the first opportunity. Its much faster than arguing with them about it.

8. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right. I'm not going to waste my time with it in the future.

Up until now, I've never concerned myself with tire pressures, and it is only because of higher awareness through this website that I decided to go with the 40/38 pressure. Therefore, it is also a new experience for me to ask a shop to set the tires at a specified range. I naively thought it would easily be accomplished and I wouldn't have to do it myself in my unheated garage!

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ha! When I first got my car it had something like 35 on the left, and 30 on the right. I don't think the senior tech fills the tires... or does oil changes.